Q for WHF Team - Sony S760 or Pioneer LX52

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys

I'm looking at getting a standalone player for Blu-Ray and dvd duties. Taking price out of the equation, which of these two players offers the better picture performance for Blu-Ray and dvd upscaling. Display will be a Pioneer 4280XD.

Thanks in advance
Fuzzy

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If money is not an issue, then i'd go for the Pioneer - holds it own with the Sony for DVD/Blu-ray performance, plus the advantage of suiting your set, both aesthetically and technically (one remote; similar colour balance etc).

A

Anonymous

clare, im also thinking of a new standalone player, as i want to upgrade my bd 30. my amp is a denon 2808 so am thinking of the 2500bt. in ur opinion do any players beat it on pure movie performance around that price point?

A

Anonymous

brett morris:clare, im also thinking of a new standalone player, as i want to upgrade my bd 30. my amp is a denon 2808 so am thinking of the 2500bt. in ur opinion do any players beat it on pure movie performance around that price point?

I am also looking to ugrade my BD30. I have a Denon 3808, so would also be really interested in the answer to this question. I was thinking of the Sony S760, Pioneer LX52 or Denon 2500bt.

I have also noticed the new Denon DBP-2010 is a similar price to the Denon 2500bt. Any thoughts on these two as a comparison Claire?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've reviewed the Denon DBP-2010 in our Awards issue; the Sony is better. However, for pure performance (rather than features and functionality) the Denon '2500BT is slightly better still - not surprising, considering its RRP of £750! With the added one-remote convenience you'll get by opting for the Denon transport, i'd seriously consider it - if the slow loading times and lack of Profile 2.0 don't deter you.... If they do, and for some reason you don't want the Sony (maybe you have a Pioneer TV and want to cut the remote count), the Pioneer 'LX52 remains a superb Blu-ray player, too.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:If money is not an issue, then i'd go for the Pioneer - holds it own with the Sony for DVD/Blu-ray performance, plus the advantage of suiting your set, both aesthetically and technically (one remote; similar colour balance etc).

Well it's nice to see a reply to someone asking a very similar question to the one I posted last night and got no reply.

A

Anonymous

As of a few minutes ago, this forum had 44,823 members. And no-one replied to your post. That's Andrew and 44,821 other people. It's a bit unfair to pick out individuals who spend a lot of their time on the forum, either paid or in their own time, for not replying to your post.

I remember creating a thread I felt was extremely interesting about the various merits of upscaling on my Blu Ray versus my Receiver. No-one replied to that either. It took me a little while, but I realised that it just wasn't that interesting, or no-one was online within a short period of time who had any advice to give.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew, apology is not necessary or what i'm looking for and I don't mean to argue. I have posted 4 times on this forum looking for insight and none of these have received replies, I was just a tad dissapointed that my own post with a very similar Q went completely un-noticed.

regards

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure it's nothing personal: it's just serendipity that leads to something being posted and a rapid response from the forum.

And bear in mind that this forum is really about users helping, and debating with, each other, rather than simply asking a question and someone from the magazine answering.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Acciesboy:

As of a few minutes ago, this forum had 44,823 members. And no-one replied to your post. That's Andrew and 44,821 other people. It's a bit unfair to pick out individuals who spend a lot of their time on the forum, either paid or in their own time, for not replying to your post.

I remember creating a thread I felt was extremely interesting about the various merits of upscaling on my Blu Ray versus my Receiver. No-one replied to that either. It took me a little while, but I realised that it just wasn't that interesting, or no-one was online within a short period of time who had any advice to give.

Hi Acciesboy,

I fully hear and understand what your saying, nor do I expect any of the WHF team to be spending their social time pouring over the forum. I felt in light of the new Sony that comparison to the LX52 was a pertinent question. Clearly if I had reworded the Subject /content I may have drawn more attention to it rather than directing at the WHF team. I don't think in the high street many will have had the chance to review both of these, so I was hoping it may have caught the team's eye and an appreciated responce. My responce to Andrew was my interpretation of his reply and not a dig at a specific member. I hope this clears up why I posted my one liner. I also respect your defence of the team, I appreciate their work and commitment during and out of hours which at times is way beyond the call of duty.

thanks - Scoobie

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Clare, yep thanks!, but when we gonna get you guy's inbuilt wifi so we can pm too!
emotion-5.gif

Sc00bie

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare. Why is the Sony better than the Denon. I have been comparing the two and to me the Denon sound better when playing music Blu Rays and has a better picture when watcing DVDs. Maybe I am missing something because there is $400 difference in the price and I wish the Sony was better.

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:We've reviewed the Denon DBP-2010 in our Awards issue; the Sony is better. However, for pure performance (rather than features and functionality) the Denon '2500BT is slightly better still - not surprising, considering its RRP of £750! With the added one-remote convenience you'll get by opting for the Denon transport, i'd seriously consider it - if the slow loading times and lack of Profile 2.0 don't deter you.... If they do, and for some reason you don't want the Sony (maybe you have a Pioneer TV and want to cut the remote count), the Pioneer 'LX52 remains a superb Blu-ray player, too.

I think she was saying the Denon 2500BT is better than the Sony if you don't need the extra features and speed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts