Yamaha, Sony or Pioneer

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I haven't been on the forum a quiet a while and I am in need of some help/advice.

I am currently building a budget home cinema system. Currently I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT330 Blu Ray player and my speakers will be Boston Soundware XS SE.

I am having trouble choosing between the Yamaha RXV375, Pioneer VSX538 or Sony STRDN840

as my Receiver. I am unable to demo any of these receivers as I currently don't drive and the

closest HiFi shop to me is a three hour journey away so I will be buying blind.

Any ideas which receiver would match my speakers well and give me the best performance?

Thanks

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply big boss.

Yes I think it is between the Yamaha or Sony. I can't really stretch my budget as I need to allow money for cables and stands. I won't be ordering anything until next week so I am going to do some searching online to find the best prices for everything, if I can find the extra cash them I may go for the Yamaha 475 as it seems like it has the features of the Sony but sound of the Yamaha so it would be the best of both worlds.

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
If you're on a budget, why not buy the DMP-BDT230 or even the 130 instead of the 330? Or do you need the 2 HDMI outputs?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about the late replies, been very busy at work.

Yes I have already bought the Panasonic bdt330 as I got it for £150 in a sale.

My speakers are definitely going to be the Boston soundware as they seem the best speakers at their price, if I sacrifice quality of cables and hold off getting stands for the rear speakers I should be able to stretch to £250 for a av receiver.

Other than the Yamaha 475 are there any other receivers I should be looking at?

Thanks

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gareth82. Personally, i think you'll be fine with the Yamaha 375 - it'll work well with the Bostons. I don't think you really need to go up to the 475. Hope this helps.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your reply Andy.

The 375 was my first choice as I wanted something that steers effects very well, I guess the lure of extra features like networking and 7.2 from the Sony and other receivers made me question if I was better spending a bit more money, the only thing putting me off the 375 is those spring clip terminals, although I do understand that features and build quality may of suffered abit so the sound quality is better.

I just saw that Peter Tyson is selling the Marantz NR1504 for £230 but I have heard that the slim line receivers are not that great. I do like the look of the Sony but I'm thinking that maybe I should stick with my gut and your recomendation and go for the 375.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts