looking for worthy successor to Pioneer BDP-51FD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI,

I would like to upgrade my Pioneer 51FD Blu-Ray player to a faster loading version with BD-Live. I'm very happy with the picture and sound quality of the blu rays but hope to achieve the following enhancements:

1. faster loading of BluRay discs

2. internet connection for BD-Live

3. better upscaling of DVD subtitles (picture upscaling is good but subtitles are very coarse

4. not looking for any 3D functionalities for the next few years .

I don't use the player for Audio CDs very often as most of my music is played vrom my iTunes library via AppleTV.

Youtube and other online features are not a requirement as I can use AppleTV and Airplay to achieve this.

Thanks to PQLS and lipsynch problems are no issue anymore with the VSX920 AVR.

As I have a full Pioneer installation so far (just upgrading the speakers to S71K and S81B-lr-k) my obvious choice would be to go for another Pioneer player. I can buy an LX53 for half price €250 but read it's quality is not much better than the 51FD so spending this amount of money to just get BD-Live and a faster loader withouth much more functionality/quality seems like not a good opportunity to me.

Any suggestions?

kind regards,

Xavier

D

Deleted member 2457

xa4c said:
HI,

I would like to upgrade my Pioneer 51FD Blu-Ray player to a faster loading version with BD-Live. I'm very happy with the picture and sound quality of the blu rays but hope to achieve the following enhancements:

1. faster loading of BluRay discs

2. internet connection for BD-Live

3. better upscaling of DVD subtitles (picture upscaling is good but subtitles are very coarse

4. not looking for any 3D functionalities for the next few years .

I don't use the player for Audio CDs very often as most of my music is played vrom my iTunes library via AppleTV.

Youtube and other online features are not a requirement as I can use AppleTV and Airplay to achieve this.

Thanks to PQLS and lipsynch problems are no issue anymore with the VSX920 AVR.

As I have a full Pioneer installation so far (just upgrading the speakers to S71K and S81B-lr-k) my obvious choice would be to go for another Pioneer player. I can buy an LX53 for half price €250 but read it's quality is not much better than the 51FD so spending this amount of money to just get BD-Live and a faster loader withouth much more functionality/quality seems like not a good opportunity to me.

Any suggestions?

kind regards,

Xavier

I would not buy the LX53, I would be looking more at the Pioneer LX55 or Pioneer 450.

A

Anonymous

Thank you gel & bigboss,

the LX55 looks pretty pricy compared to the Sony S790, which, according to the reviews seem to be one of the best BR players at an acceptable pricepoint.. Would that be a good choice as well? Or better go with the BP-450?

Would combining a Sony with my Pioneer VSX920 make me loose on quality?

thanks for your advice!

kr,

XAvier

xa4c said:
the LX55 looks pretty pricy compared to the Sony S790, which, according to the reviews seem to be one of the best BR players at an acceptable pricepoint.. Would that be a good choice as well? Or better go with the BP-450?

Pioneer 450 won the best player award at a recent WHF comparison test. What sort of performance are you looking at? For pure 1080p/24 blu ray pictures, I found do difference in performance at different price points.

Would combining a Sony with my Pioneer VSX920 make me loose on quality?

No. You won't lose on quality. The only difference is that Kuro link may not work, so you'll have to use separate remotes (unless you have a universal remote). I'm told that Kuro link works with Panasonic models as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks BigBoss,

The Kuro link is not mandatory here as I use a Logitech Harmony Touch.

just found this other interesting thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/blu-ray-players/sony-bdp-s-790-pioneer-bdp-450-or-alternative

it seems the 450 is having some issues and is also experiencing serious load time issues.

Strange that there is little positive feedback on the S790 whilst it is receiving a very positive review on this site.

A

Anonymous

Thanks! I will eventually have to see it with my own eyes. now let's find a dealer that is prepared to demo, a rare thing to find these days in Belgium.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts