Q-Acoustics Concept20 V MA Bronze BX2

Simsey33

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I have mad my MA Bronze BX's 2's for a couple of years now and think its time for a change.

They sit on Dynaudio 3X stands and are fed from a Rega P3-24 (Ortofon 2M Blue), and Marantz CD6003 going through a Marantz PM7003 amp (cables are Chord Carnival silver screen).
Its not that I'm particularly unhappy with the sound its just that I think theres more to be heard from my system that the speakers aren't letting me hear (this is on top of a desire fora bit more bass) so I'm looking for a decent upgrade.

I guess firstly I need to ask if you think I'm right in assuming that the speakers are the weak link in this setup and the first thing to change?
Or would you think theres some other changes I could make first to see if I can extract more from them?

Otherwise my search has me starting with the Concept 20's. Has anyone demoed these speakers? Are they actually better (more insightful and with more Bass) than the BX2's?

If not Ithen I hae a budget that will extend to B&W's CM5's. I have heard these speakers and love them but havent seriously considered buying them yet as I havent heard them on the other end of 'my' amp.

Anyway, all coments and suggestions are greatly welcomed before I begin demoing speakers this wknd
Cheers all

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Simsey.

If you are not particularly unhappy with your current sound, then you need to listen to the other speakers you have in mind - ideally with your amp and at home - if you can. Only you can decide if the upgrade is worth your money.

I have previously home demoed £800 speakers that although sounded better than my 15+ yr old standmounts, I didn't feel at the time were worth spending £800 for the (IMO) small improvement.

Can you demo them?

EDITED - sorry didn't see the other thread

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Hi Simsey.

If you are not particularly unhappy with your current sound, then you need to listen to the other speakers you have in mind - ideally with your amp and at home - if you can. Only you can decide if the upgrade is worth your money.

I have previously home demoed £800 speakers that although sounded better than my 15+ yr old standmounts, I didn't feel at the time were worth spending £800 for the (IMO) small improvement.

Can you demo them?

Probably because they need a decent amp? Ive upgraded from Mission 780SEs, all I can say these new speakers are in a different league from the Missions although that is partly due to the amp no doubt.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
jonathanRD said:
Hi Simsey.

Can you demo them?

Probably because they need a decent amp? Ive upgraded from Mission 780SEs, all I can say these new speakers are in a different league from the Missions although that is partly due to the amp no doubt.

I agree - I was aware that my amp was also a limiting factor. When I'm ready I will be looking for both a new amp and speakers. I still enjoy my current set up (the 780's are not the SE version) and the addition of the BK XXLS400 has proved very interesting.

The point that I wanted to make is how valuable a home demo is.

Simsey33

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I can probably manage a home demo of the totem dreamcatchers or the B&W CM5's but unlikely for the QA C20's.

There is a dealer I bought the Amp from who would possibly let me home demo some DynAudios so I'll pay him a visit as well...

Youre right though, a home demo of all 3 would leave no questions unanswered.

In the meantime I'll have to make do with my Amp at the dealers with my cables and see what I can tell from that. Its damn hard this auditioning of speakers, you always want to be 'sure' that youre right before you drop the cash but it happens to be one of the hardest things to be sure about!
smiley-yell.gif

Really appreciate all the input though, all ideas are good ones in the initial stages. As it usually happens you go in with an idea and then come away with something completely diffferent and 30% over budget!!
smiley-laughing.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Simsey33 said:
Are they actually better (more insightful and with more Bass) than the BX2's?

The Concept 20 is a cracking speaker for the money, and as good as the BX2s are, the 20s are definitely a step up, and won't outclass your 7003. Of course, if you want to stick with Monitor Audio, I suggest you try out the Silver 1.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Simsey33 said:
Are they actually better (more insightful and with more Bass) than the BX2's?

The Concept 20 is a cracking speaker for the money, and as good as the BX2s are, the 20s are definitely a step up, and won't outclass your 7003. Of course, if you want to stick with Monitor Audio, I suggest you try out the Silver 1.

How are they in terms of bass? Just looking at the specs (which don't always tell the whole story), the BX2s go much deeper than the Q Acoustics.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
How are they in terms of bass? Just looking at the specs (which don't always tell the whole story), the BX2s go much deeper than the Q Acoustics.

All I will say to that is that you hit the nail on the head with specs not telling the whole story, and compared to the whole frequency range, low bass is a very small part of the bigger picture.

Hi Simsey33

BX2's are excellent speakers and whose performance can be enhanced further with alternative amplification. If you are prepared to consider used/discontined amplification then Rotel's RA-1062 and the NAD C370 amplifiers (the latter paired with at least a Rega A2D) are worth bearing in mind.

Fwiw, to demonstrate the qualities of BX2's I'll sometimes partially use amplification such as a Plinius Hiato, Densen Audio Technologies B-175 Plus, ATC SCA2/Krell FPB600.

All the best

Rick. @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS