Q Acoustics 1010i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im looking to get a pair of these for stereo use with the wall brackets. There just going to be used now and again as I have floorstanders at the other end of the room. Im trying to find out what the difference between the 1010 and the 1010i is? I hear they have a new cross over but I dont like my music to sound too bright especially considering these will not produce much bass. am i better of getting the older non i model? also the older pair got 5 stars when reviewed but the new ones got 4 which is strange for something to have become worse.

As always any help is appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Im just wondering if replacing the cross over has made the speaker less balanced in sound. It has happened before with other speakers where the manufacturers improvements sound good on paper but end up having a negative effect on the sound.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
gpi:I don't think they will be worse. just the competition at that price point has changed.

That's exactly right - the Q Acoustics 1010s were pretty much in a league of their own. Then the Tannoy Mercury Custom F1s came along - essentially £200 speakers selling for £110 - and the 1010i had a much more formidable competitor.

The 1010i is a great speaker - which is why the package built around it (the 1010i 5.1) is our five-star, Award-winning entry-level surround sound speaker choice.

A

Anonymous

thanks for your reply clare, that makes sense but I just wanted to be sure. I would have gone for the f1 customs but the height is restricted where they will be wall mounted and they are about 10cm taller then the 1010s. Think I will pick up a pair on tuesday and see what all the hype was about. Any ideas on the build quality?

A

Anonymous

thanks again clare. im sure they will be fine just need to figure out if I should order the 1050 at the same time....hmmm tempting...

A

Anonymous

Did what hifi ever test the mission m30i? they seem to be the same spec and size as the q acoustics 1010 and if im not wrong the people behind q acoustics used to work for mission?

A

Anonymous

Mohsin, considering size is an issue and they both received 5*s did you consider the Wharfedale Dimond9.0's or the Roth Audio OLi1's or the Monitor Audio BR1s at 50 quid more. Only interested as I am buying a small pair of speakers and am going thorugh the ilimination process.
Would be interested with your views. Paul

A

Anonymous

Well paul the Monitor Audio are more expensive which puts them in a slightly higher class and then once you move to £150 - £160 there are probably many others to consider. The Roth OLi1 did get a five star review but I just dont like the look and as not many companies are stocking these I have only ever seen the black (which is a big no with other half). The Wharfedale 9.0 I totally forgot about and come to think of it has made me reconsider about getting the 1010i. One big advantage with 1010 is that Q acoustics sell nice discreet wall brackets for them and as they will be going on a wall this made them ideal. Do wharfedale do wall brackets for the 9.0?

A

Anonymous

Nice one buddy, I was doing the reserch on the brackets for the Diamonds and stumbled accross this thread at another forum http://www.another site/forums/showthread.php?t=673643 so it looks like they do not do any special ones so of course if black is out other half will not be happy with a nice birch (or whatever) cabinet and then black wall brackets standing out like a sore thumb; guess it is back to the 1010is for you then. Have you considered getting an pair of 1010s as I have seen them going for about £80 in some places and the what hifi review says there is not much difference. Also can you ping me the link for the specific brackets for the 1010is as this may sway me away from the diamonds as well (under the thumb also so you are not the only one). Of course there is another option - we both get divorced and with the funds left after being fleeced we could buy a pad spend loads on hifi, home cinema, sky sports, golf membership, beer, wine and sod the women compeletly and do our own thing.

A

Anonymous

paulmardon:Of course there is another option - we both get divorced and with the funds left after being fleeced we could buy a pad spend loads on hifi, home cinema, sky sports, golf membership, beer, wine and sod the women compeletly and do our own thing.

Paul, mate I think the divorce would cost so much the only thing i will be buying after that is a clearance Alba clock radio from argos! I have actually seen the 1010 for £69.99 delivered and the 1010i for £74.99 delivered. At that price and size other then the diamonds I dont think anything can touch them. The brackets can be bought on several sites and are £19.99, I also like the fact that the 1010 bracket attaches with 2 screws under the speaker rather then behind it so there really easy to wall mount. This may sound silly but I have a funny feeling the original 1010 may be better then the i model. Its like the mission 753 and the 753 freedom, although the freedom was the later model many would agree the earlier had the better sound. I already have a bright amp and would hate the speakers to be too bright in the treble department. According to the the q acoustics website they have upgraded the tweeter and the crossover, lets be honest these speakers are too small to produce any real bass and if in addition to the low bass response they have further improved the top end its going to end up sounding nasty (just my opinion obviuosly). The other dilemma I have is that in the cherry colour the cheapest I can find the original 1010 is £89.99, the price is fine but knowing I can get the newer model for cheaper may just push me to go with the i model. oh and about being under the thumb......hang in there mate, our time will come!

A

Anonymous

Ok I ordered the 1010i in cherry and they arrived today. Not had a extensive listen but first impression are excellent. I was expecting abit more bass but I think thats just down to me always listening to big floorstanders. The midrange in my opinion is fantastic and makes my mission m74i sound tiring to listen to. Build quaity is also excellent and Im 95% convinced to go for the 1050i as my main speakers. I think the wharfdale 9.0 will go slightly lower but the midrangeon these remind me of my old tannoy r1, and for £74.99 simply a bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts