PV1 tweakathon

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone meddled with the settings on their PV1 ??? I must admit, the instructions were last seen above my head moving swiftly in a southerly direction... I am not sure what they really offer so I have left well alone. Am I right?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I leave mine on 'auto'. The settings on the sub are bypassed when connected via digital cable. I have it set at 80hz on the receiver. Auto set up had it -7db, but the manual for the Onk said that it may not pick up the low frequencies sufficiently enough for accurate adjustment, so i stuck it at 0db. Works fine for me.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Big Chris"]I leave mine on 'auto'. The settings on the sub are bypassed when connected via digital cable. I have it set at 80hz on the receiver. Auto set up had it -7db, but the manual for the Onk said that it may not pick up the low frequencies sufficiently enough for accurate adjustment, so i stuck it at 0db. Works fine for me.[/quote]

Are you saying the sub crossover is bypassed when connecting via a single sub cable? Don't think so.
Snap, my Denon 3808 set the sub to -7 too, have it around +3 nowadays, volume around halfway on the sub. Crossover on amp at 80hz.

R

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="hifi_nut"][quote user="Big Chris"]I leave mine on 'auto'. The settings on the sub are bypassed when connected via digital cable. I have it set at 80hz on the receiver. Auto set up had it -7db, but the manual for the Onk said that it may not pick up the low frequencies sufficiently enough for accurate adjustment, so i stuck it at 0db. Works fine for me.[/quote]

Are you saying the sub crossover is bypassed when connecting via a single sub cable? Don't think so.

R[/quote]

Yep. The controls on the sub are for when you've connected via the speaker level cable. Digital bypasses all the other controls (except power). That's what the PV1 manual says. Think about it. The receiver crossover is doing the work, so the sub doesn't have to.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare has the PV1 - what do have yours set at? My RSW12 is set at -20 (by my Sony receiver's auto calibration). I will now tweak it a little too although it's already frightening and loud when I turn my receiver up as it is.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Clare has the PV1 - what do have yours set at? My RSW12 is set at -20 (by my Sony receiver's auto calibration). I will now tweak it a little too although it's already frightening and loud when I turn my receiver up as it is.[/quote]

Huh, -20 thats some drop. Have you got the volume on the sub itself cranked right up to 11?
If you have I'd say there's an argument to set it to halfway and feed it with a 'louder' signal so the sub amp isn't working so hard. Make sense or am I taking out of my...............

R

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Big Chris"][quote user="hifi_nut"][quote user="Big Chris"]I leave mine on 'auto'. The settings on the sub are bypassed when connected via digital cable. I have it set at 80hz on the receiver. Auto set up had it -7db, but the manual for the Onk said that it may not pick up the low frequencies sufficiently enough for accurate adjustment, so i stuck it at 0db. Works fine for me.[/quote]

R[/quote]

Yep. The controls on the sub are for when you've connected via the speaker level cable. Digital bypasses all the other controls (except power). That's what the PV1 manual says. Think about it. The receiver crossover is doing the work, so the sub doesn't have to.[/quote]

Yep, I stand corrected sir.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="hifi_nut"][quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Clare has the PV1 - what do have yours set at? My RSW12 is set at -20 (by my Sony receiver's auto calibration). I will now tweak it a little too although it's already frightening and loud when I turn my receiver up as it is.[/quote]

Huh, -20 thats some drop. Have you got the volume on the sub itself cranked right up to 11?
If you have I'd say there's an argument to set it to halfway and feed it with a 'louder' signal so the sub amp isn't working so hard. Make sense or am I taking out of my...............

R[/quote] No, the sub volume is half way. The RSW12 is a beast!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="hifi_nut"][quote user="Big Chris"][quote user="hifi_nut"][quote user="Big Chris"]I leave mine on 'auto'. The settings on the sub are bypassed when connected via digital cable. I have it set at 80hz on the receiver. Auto set up had it -7db, but the manual for the Onk said that it may not pick up the low frequencies sufficiently enough for accurate adjustment, so i stuck it at 0db. Works fine for me.[/quote]

R[/quote]

Yep. The controls on the sub are for when you've connected via the speaker level cable. Digital bypasses all the other controls (except power). That's what the PV1 manual says. Think about it. The receiver crossover is doing the work, so the sub doesn't have to.[/quote]

Yep, I stand corrected sir.[/quote]

Hey, that's why we're all here. To lend a helping hand.

;-)

A

Anonymous

Mine was set at -9d after using Audessey on my 606. I changed it to 0db last night and nearly lost all my fillings. Blimey, I never knew The Apprentice has so much bass. It does, loads of it!!!! The room was shaking. Superb sub, very tight! I have seen B&W send out a free cd with setting tones on for PV1 owners. No free one with mine... anyone else get one?

nigpd

Nov 18, 2006
Visit site
I have done a little digging and found that it isnt an urban myth. I contacted B&W to ask about the CD with setting tones on and I received a impressively quick reply as follows

Many thanks for your email enquiry regarding obtaining a CD with test tones.

Sadly we no longer have supplies of that CD. Your AV receiver or processor would suffice in providing test tones to calibrate levels.

The recommended settings for the MT-30 are, to set all your M-1 satellites as small via your processor/receiver with a crossover of 80Hz, with the PV1 subwoofer connected via the RCA (phono) lead to your processor for the sub out or LFE (do not use the supplied RJ45 lead - this is for 2 channel stereo systems only), you need to set the subwoofer crossover in the processor to 80Hz, you needn't touch the rolloff setting on the subwoofer as this only comes into play with the high level input for 2 channel set-ups only. This will allow the PV1 to produce the frequencies from approx 20Hz upto 80Hz, the M-1's will reproduce from 80Hz upto infinity.

By setting the system up in this way, you are using the entire usable frequency range of the M-1's without placing too much of a demand on them, or the amplification.

Adjust the volume for the subwoofer as necessary for a seamless integration with the M-1's, the subwoofer should not draw attention to itself during playback, it is worth experimenting with various music/film types with a steady bass track to ascertain the optimum volume, the phase switch will be correctly set in the position that gives the fullest bass response.

A properly set-up subwoofer will integrate with your M-1's and not drone on continuously, only lending a hand when it is necessary, such as special effects in films or the lower octave of music tracks. It may take time to set up, however you will be rewarded with a depth and scale to soundtracks.

A poorly set-up subwoofer will tend to draw attention to itself, cause boom, and make everything seem too "full".

Yours sincerely

Stephen Wheatley
Product Support - UK Sales

I have been given permission by B&W to post this reply

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Clare, you have the PV1, non? What are your thoughts on the settings??[/quote]

The db setting will depend on your type/positioning/set-up of other speakers in the system as per receiver set-up - mine's balanced very nicely with the rest of the system: i'm not firing up the projector especially to check the exact setting in the receiver menu, though!

Other than that, it's set to positive phase, as i'm using full-range fronts (negative phase suits sub/sat usage); EQ is on 1; Auto is on; frequency at full whack so that the PV1 is receiving anything the receiver can send out.

Not saying that's a perfect set-up, but it works very well in my system, and certainly makes itself known when needed (its punch, speed and accuracy never cease to amaze me), while not drawing unnecessarily grumbly attention to itself, as with some subs.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Clare, you have the PV1, non? What are your thoughts on the settings??[/quote]

The db setting will depend on your type/positioning/set-up of other speakers in the system as per receiver set-up - mine's balanced very nicely with the rest of the system: i'm not firing up the projector especially to check the exact setting in the receiver menu, though!

Other than that, it's set to positive phase, as i'm using full-range fronts (negative phase suits sub/sat usage); EQ is on 1; Auto is on; frequency at full whack so that the PV1 is receiving anything the receiver can send out.

Not saying that's a perfect set-up, but it works very well in my system, and certainly makes itself known when needed (its punch, speed and accuracy never cease to amaze me), while not drawing unnecessarily grumbly attention to itself, as with some subs.

[/quote] Oh, go one, "fire up" the Quattro.....I mean projector!! So, with regards to my RSW12, do you think it's fine that my receiver sets it to -20db (the lowest it can go) after auto calibration?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Without seeing your set-up, it's hard to tell - best way to check your auto-set-up has run effectively is to borrow/buy a sound pressure-level meter and run through the set-up yourself.

Oddly enough, we'll be running through exactly how to do this in one of our first 'How To' videos on the new website, which is (fingers, toes and everything else crossed) less than a week away.

A

Anonymous

Champion... And thanks for the B&W email. Saved me ringing them for some advice. Which was what I was just about to do... The haze is clearing, and I can't wait for the how to vid. Since I ramped up my PV1 to 0db it has taken over the world, never mind my set up!. Ramping back now........

A

Anonymous

The sub's volume dial is still active, using the phono lead. Mine is set at 12 o'clock. Where do you have yours? Any further and it becomes oppresive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts