PUTTING MY EGGS IN THE CYRUS BASKET - help with the power amps

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I have been putting up quite a lot of threads recently trying to get a comparason of the Cyrus pre/power amp vs a Cambridge audio 840a V2. However, because im an impatient ******, I have decided to go for the Cyrus ( i havent heard the cyrus - no time and no dealers near). I am going to buy a new pre VS2 and get whatever amplification i can get for around 400- 500 pounds (second hand). I know What Hi Fi are doing a test next month with the CA 840 but that is against an intergrated cyrus 8 not pre/power.

Any one heard them both CA 840a and Pre/Power cyrus? Will i definately get a better sound from a cyrus pre/power than a camb integrated (powering B&W 685)?

I have these questions that i would greatly appreciate some help with -

1) Am i better off getting 2 6power amps and bi amping (going quite cheap second hand) or geting 1 8power.

2) On Ebay there are a lot of Link powers and Smart powers - some one said these are the previous versions of 6 and 8 power - is this true?

3) If Yes - is their a massive difference between them - ie is it worth me spending another 200 odd pounds more on a Second Hand 8power than the older Smart power (likewise for LinkPower and 6power).

4) Final question honest! Can 6 powers be upgraded in the future with psxr's?

I know thats a lot of questions but any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Not a Cyrus owner so can't help on most of these, however, for answers to questions 2 and 4,Cyrus upgrade information is here:

http://www.cyrusaudio.com/content.asp?ContentID=87

and here

http://www.cyrusaudio.com/content.asp?ContentID=38

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Why ask when you buy without listening first.

It'll be great to hear how you get on and how much cash you're going to waste in the process.

Keep us updated of your 'progress'. I look forward to it.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally i wouldnt bother with the pre/power combo, id stump for either the Cyrus 6v2 or 8v2 integrated amps and look to add the power amp at a later date

My girlfriend has the Cyrus 8v2 amp and Cyrus 8 CD player with B&W CM7 speakers, we auditioned the B&W 685's and 684's with the amp/CD combo as well and the 685's were superb.

Both the Cyrus amps have bags of power and will drive the 685's really well, just make sure youve got a good CD player to match and good speaker stands, preferably mass loaded!

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Do you often take the tIme to post replys which are neither constructive or helpful in any way?

The reason im asking first is the same reason I would pick up a magazine to shortlist any equipment - to get a second opinion and avoid the tat. Should it be necessary to audition every single product within a range? If you do then im glad to hear you have that much spare time on your hands. I like the look and size of the cyus equipment and all reviews are positive. I agree in an ideal world i should audition first but i dont have a local cyrus dealer or the time. All i needed was some assistant on the power amp. So cheers i will let you know about my 'progress' and as for the cash im going to waste - my cash my problem so dont concern yourself.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="SHAXOS"]
Do you often take the tIme to post replys which are neither constructive or helpful in any way?

[/quote]

No, only when I see a posting like yours and even then, I thought it was pretty constructive.

[[quote user="SHAXOS"]Should it be necessary to audition every single product within a range? If you do then im glad to hear you have that much spare time on your hands[/quote]

You got time to listen to music dont you? So why not make time, drive a few miles and hear what you can get for your grand or how ever much you are planning to spend?

I have fortunately access to a lot of new equipment when it is released so we naturally do play with it as and when time allows. I could have given you a detailed account of cyrus components and what happens in my/our opinion (retailer) when you start to add to it. Thats still no substitute to actually listening to it before you buy but then ebay's full of 'bargains' that re-appear fairly regularely. Bet lots of these have been bought by impatient sort of people.

Good luck

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
What do you mean by adding to it, Iam from Canada and have a pre Xvs with psx cd 8x psx and two smart powers...are you talking about the point of diminsihing returns, or it gets better. I have found with each upgrade that it does get better

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Mike_Schmidt"]What do you mean by adding to it, Iam from Canada and have a pre Xvs with psx cd 8x psx and two smart powers...are you talking about the point of diminsihing returns, or it gets better. I have found with each upgrade that it does get better[/quote]

If you really don't have the inclination to audition then go for the Cyrus as it's a better brand and there's a much better upgrade path. If I were you I would take a day out to audition some kit and you may well be surprised what you come away with. Sound is in the ear of the beholder so to speak.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I like that ear of the beholder from Metallica's and justice for all!!! I dont know know, what i do know is when you upgrade and upgrade adding power suppilies etc adventualy one would think that your leaving alot of great equiptment out of the picture and ending up like myself with alot of boxes (6 and counting)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Mike_Schmidt"]I like that ear of the beholder from Metallica's and justice for all!!! I dont know know, what i do know is when you upgrade and upgrade adding power suppilies etc adventualy one would think that your leaving alot of great equiptment out of the picture and ending up like myself with alot of boxes (6 and counting)[/quote]

... is correct

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts