Pure Audio Blu-ray

lwhwhat1

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Is there any difference between the audio quality on a normal blu-ray release and the Pure Audio version, for example Led Zeppelin 'Celebration Day' .

musical0111

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
lwhwhat1 said:
Is there any difference between the audio quality on a normal blu-ray release and the Pure Audio version, for example Led Zeppelin 'Celebration Day' .
i now own 20 blu ray pure audio only discs and they sound great imo, the elton john disc goodbye yellowbrick road is awesome in both stereo and its surround 5.1 mix is one of the best ive heard ,,also try george michael symphonica blu ray pure audio you will love the sound of this disc.

lwhwhat1

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the Genesis 'Selling England By The Pound' Pure Audio disc and that sounds good, also have a Supertramp one on the way. The reason for my question was that I had been listening to the audio of the Led Zeppelin blu-ray, but was wondering if there was any difference between it and the blu-ray audio release. I would have thought not. :?

D

Deleted member 2457

I think the difference is that it sounds better than the CD.

There should be.

Normal Blu Ray discs, lets take for example one utilising Dolby TrueHD, generally have thre tracks recorded with a resolution of 24bit/96kHz.

Blu Ray Audio discs are recorded up to 24bit/192kHz.

I own a couple of Blu Ray audio and the sound quality is great. Not sure you'd notice that much difference when playing back the stereo recordings on either format though.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
The increased quality is very noticeable with the two classical ones I purchased recently (Naxos Copland Roseo Suite & Rachmaninov Piano Concertos Nos2&3). Although their CD equivalents are good masters in their own right, the quality of the Blurays are stunningly good. They have so much detail and a sense of space around each of the notes, but there's also a beautiful natural quality to the sound. Although there's plenty of slam & that 'wow factor', it never sounds artificial or forced. The format itself has much potential if the marketing departments don't kill it first.

As with many of these format wars, much depends on the quality of the master. I remember making mistakes in the early days of CD buying some dodgy old classical recordings from the 60's: they were never going to sound good.

Looking at the (pretty small) current catalogue of Bluray Audio discs, it surprises me how many releases (particularly pop & rock) are very old recordings. Couldn't they release more recent stuff that was recorded well in the first place? If Bluray Audio's going to catch on, then this pretty half-hearted approach so far isn't going to have much of an impact. My cash is here waiting, but there's very little of the current releases that interests me, which is a shame because I'd happily pay the premium for that sound quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts