Punchy/big bass cd player £600-1200 budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="marcymarc555"]
[quote user="igglebert"]If you can find one to demo, try the current CDPs by Unison Research. I can suggest a place in Peterborough if you're stuck. Lovely smooth sound with a valve output stage. Superb. Only issue with them is the dubious interface. Having said that, if you like the whole analogue philosophy, an annoying interface will complete the experience :)[/quote]

Hi there

I will have a little browse on the web now and get some info on these players........., whats this annoying interface business??

thanks
[/quote]

There's a 20sec warm up time when you turn it on, but that's part of the course with valves. The software and HMI seem a bit clunky and slow. I found it to be a pain in the proverbial, but once you get used to it I'm sure it's fine. It's not about the interface, it's about the sound, and it sounds utterly superb. Once I've sorted my amp I'll probably get one :)

A

Anonymous

if its not too late and the money hasnt burnt thd hole in your pocket yet, there's a second hand art v2 for sale at "shodowline" on the internet for £1000 or thereabouts. Seems like a good site although i havnt had any dealings with them. Happy hunting

A

Anonymous

Thankyou to everyone for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it,

The more advice i get the more confused i get lol, im still no closer to deciding...........grrrr

Im not sure i like the Naims manual disc tray affair, i think it would really annoy me, but maybe the player will sound so good ill just want it no matter what.........i really hope so.

Rega apollo seem like it couod have quite a bit of the sound im after but from what ive heard and read the bass aspect isnt as good as it is in treble and mid range department.

Unison research machines arent very easy on my eye from what ive seen......but then again if it gives "that" sound then i may be swayed ( my dealer sells these...yay how cool?)

Also i wouldnt own second hand hifi......dont know why, just second heand isnt my thing, takes the shine off the whole new toy thing lol....unless its a car...thats different-ish

Ive been totally racking my brain, i really have got a head ache with it all :(

had a little ponder into Cyrus to, but ....dont think i could do with the tiny boxes ..*sigh*

I dont know what to do....im pissed off and am sulking

TonyHall

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"]
Im not sure i like the Naims manual disc tray affair, i think it would really annoy me
[/quote]

I thought so too, but I've discovered that I love it. Much more tactile and strangely satisfying in comparison to the soulless 'whirrrrrrrr-clunk-click' of a normal CD tray.

Hey, it's the 21st century, surely these mechanisms should make noises like the doors on the Star Trek's "Enterprise"!

Cheers,

Tony

T

the record spot

How about the Exposure range? The 2010 &3010 (plus later S versions) weren't exactly shrinking violets in the bass stakes. £600 / £1000 or so and well rated, esp the later editions.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the record spot"]How about the Exposure range? The 2010 &3010 (plus later S versions) weren't exactly shrinking violets in the bass stakes. £600 / £1000 or so and well rated, esp the later editions.[/quote]

I quite fancy the 2010s but its getting on a bit now for the money, pretty sure a better player can be bought for £600, then there is the 3010s which is only a year old i think???.........i have thought about it ad want it so much hehe, but its at the very top of my budget :(

In all fairness, the Naim 5i is looking the most promising so far.

Im not sure if im being a bit silly not getting the 2010s because its old though...............................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts