Punchy/big bass cd player £600-1200 budget

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello there, as ive been doing more research into the whole hifi thing, ive come to the conclusion im gonna need to spend quite alot of money to achieve the sound im after,

Im after a player with as much of an analog sound as possible within my budget, also wanting a real thumper of a player, i hate bass shy gear so want loads of punch.

I cant stand the horrible tinny sound that comes from every cd player ive ever heard in my life, budget players though i do admit:)

Ive been a sucker for cassettes and records since forever lol , but never have i heard a cd play with that warm sound you get from good tape/record

I heard a marantz cd6002 the other day and it just sounded plain digital nonsense.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
£750-£1250 CD player Supertest on the stocks for the June issue. In fact Joe Cox is sitting opposite me clattering out the copy as I write.

But no, no sneak previews, sorry...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
£750-£1250 CD player Supertest on the stocks for the June issue. In fact Joe Cox is sitting opposite me clattering out the copy as I write.

But no, no sneak previews, sorry...

[/quote]

Yo,

thought claire said it was up to £1000 for the test or is that a differenr test lol?

have you got any ideas of the top of your head what might suit me Andrew?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Same test - I gather we had to expand the parameters a bit.

IMHO you won't be disappointed with the Naim CD5i - tested it for Ye Olde Phonographe (aka Gramophone) recently and loved it.

A

Anonymous

Same test - I gather we had to expand the parameters a bit.

IMHO you won't be disappointed with the Naim CD5i - tested it for Ye Olde Phonographe (aka Gramophone) recently and loved it.

[/quote]

that Naim player really is causing a stir isnt it.......now ive the heard the hype from the hifi grand master i think a demo is in order lol

A

Anonymous

No hype here...

[/quote]

Ok perhaps not worded correctly lol but remember that you are a journalist so a dab hand with the old wording, im motor car breaker lol........scrap man hehe

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"]

anyone else got any ideas?

[/quote]

The biggest bass (proper tuneful analog sounding bass) I have heard from cd player is from The Audionet ART V2. 2nd hand is your top budget. Alternatively, if you can find it! the Densen 400XS....simply awesome.

On the other end of scale is Linn Genki (£400ish) although don't use the Linn with any bright sounding speakers. again a good alternative to this would be NAD silverline S500i as it does bass very very well.

One more? it would be Krell KAV300cd around £1000 but it's many years old now so make sure it is in good working order (Krell do build to last forever though).

If you are looking to buy new then go and demo Pathos or Naim.

I would love to hear the new Naim5i myself.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jules153"]Methinks Rega Saturn would be up your street.

jules.[/quote]

It's natural rather than BIG, SLAM kinna bass sound imo, great cdp for the price though
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="jules153"]Methinks Rega Saturn would be up your street.

jules.[/quote]

It's natural rather than BIG, SLAM kinna bass sound imo, great cdp for the price though
emotion-21.gif

[/quote]

Hey Mr T , has Naim got a reputation for big,slam kinna bass sound........as a rule, not just the new 5i?

thankyou

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"][quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="jules153"]Methinks Rega Saturn would be up your street.

jules.[/quote]

emotion-21.gif

[/quote]

Hey Mr T , has Naim got a reputation for big,slam kinna bass sound........as a rule, not just the new 5i?

thankyou

[/quote]

NO! tight and fast bass but not slam, bloody lovely though I am very tempting (oppinion base on CDX2 on trial in my very own room
emotion-5.gif
)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="marcymarc555"][quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="jules153"]Methinks Rega Saturn would be up your street.

jules.[/quote]

emotion-21.gif

[/quote]

thankyou

[/quote]

NO! tight and good timing bass but not slam, bloody lovely though I am very tempting (oppinion base on CDX2 on trial in my very own room
emotion-5.gif

[/quote]

ahh i see ....... :( i want slam lol

definately going to demo the entry naim cd though....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Audionet ART V2 is garantee to slam the hell out of bass department, it kick out drums in fine fashion too.....demo one if you can.

A

Anonymous

My Arcam CD73 does a very good job at big bass transients! Plenty of slam and a very "round, warm" bass sound. Bass has an integrated soundstage aswell! Or try the Arcam CD192 if you want an improved version.

A

Anonymous

I would definately give a Roksan Kandy a listen (£650) if your happy to go for the lower end of your budget. Bought mine in january and 100% pleased with it, Bass in particular gives exactly what your after.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Although there are no doubt differences when comparing solid state players they are often not sufficient enough for people that have a prefererence for vinyl/analogue sound (though thats a simplification in itself). I think you should perhaps listen to a few hybrid valve/ss players if you have the opportunity. Switchable filters would give you further options.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
Although there are no doubt differences when comparing solid state players they are often not sufficient enough for people that have a prefererence for vinyl/analogue sound (though thats a simplification in itself). I think you should perhaps listen to a few hybrid valve/ss players if you have the opportunity. Switchable filters would give you further options.

[/quote]

Hi

Do you have any valve players etc to reccomend drummer man?

Im having a demo of a naim 5i italic and rega apollo on tuesday, ill probably come back with one of the two if i dont find a better solution sooner.

The salesman ive spoke to today says the rega apollo will be just the thing im looking for he suspects, due to it analog like sound......is this your opinion to mate?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"]Do you have any valve players etc to reccomend drummer man?[/quote]

Sorry its been a while since I've listened to one and that was in an unfamiliar system so I am not really in a position to recommend any. I prefer valves in my amplification but there's no reason why it can't be the other way round (or both) Again, they will all slightly differ in presentation but give a different take on digital replay and a good one will hopefully give you a bit more warmth and presence without sacrificing resolution and detail though these qualities are not necesseraly unique to valves.

Its no secret that I am a fan of some of Rega's products but the player you mention is perhaps not one of them. Rather than analogue sounding (whatever that means. I've heard some rather bad sounding TT based systems too) it's presentation is perhaps less digital then some but to me sounds to hifi. Great treble/detail but to pristine in every other aspect with a slightly weak bass and some lack of drive/impact. Very refined though and certainly worth listening to if you find other players harsh.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="marcymarc555"]Do you have any valve players etc to reccomend drummer man?[/quote]

Sorry its been a while since I've listened to one and that was in an unfamiliar system so I am not really in a position to recommend any. I prefer valves in my amplification but there's no reason why it can't be the other way round (or both) Again, they will all slightly differ in presentation but give a different take on digital replay and a good one will hopefully give you a bit more warmth and presence without sacrificing resolution and detail though these qualities are not necesseraly unique to valves.

Its no secret that I am a fan of some of Rega's products but the player you mention is perhaps not one of them. Rather than analogue sounding (whatever that means. I've heard some rather bad sounding TT based systems too) it's presentation is perhaps less digital then some but to me sounds to hifi. Great treble/detail but to pristine in every other aspect with a slightly weak bass and some lack of drive/impact. Very refined though and certainly worth listening to if you find other players harsh.

[/quote]

Great help as usual drummerman,

I think with your description the rega isnt seeming to promising, but in all fairness to the salesman he did say that the rega was worth a listen if i found other players harsh, so at least we know your info is spot on mate lol....gold star for drummerman!!!!

Im so desperate for a player and the money is burning a hole in my pocket, im scared that im going to buy a pup in sheer excitement....trying to get as much info before my demo day tuesday.

If im honest, if there was a player that i wouldnt mind that "reads" well for my tastes....through the internet and mag reviews etc... then thats the Exposure 2010s , but there is no dealer near to me that stocks them...so cant really get a demo, plus they are getting on a bit now so im a bit weary that a new version could pop up at any time.

A

Anonymous

If you can find one to demo, try the current CDPs by Unison Research. I can suggest a place in Peterborough if you're stuck. Lovely smooth sound with a valve output stage. Superb. Only issue with them is the dubious interface. Having said that, if you like the whole analogue philosophy, an annoying interface will complete the experience :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]If you can find one to demo, try the current CDPs by Unison Research. I can suggest a place in Peterborough if you're stuck. Lovely smooth sound with a valve output stage. Superb. Only issue with them is the dubious interface. Having said that, if you like the whole analogue philosophy, an annoying interface will complete the experience :)[/quote]

Hi there

I will have a little browse on the web now and get some info on these players........., whats this annoying interface business??

thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good advise by igglebert.

As AE said previously, Naims new little player is nice if you can't audition alternative products such as the Unison Research. The Nait5i is refined (to much?) and certainly is not harsh. It'll give you more of everything than the rega other than that cristall clear extended treble. Some players sound phasey ie. artificially wide/high sound stage at a cost to solidity and a good central image, the Nait is'nt one of those. Personally I prefer the cyrus 8. Again, it does most things the naim does with a bit more drive and more open high frequencies but really there's very little difference and I love the nait's manual drawer. Let us know how you get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts