PS3 Updates & Tips

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just purchased a PS3 and installed a few updates from sony as soon i connected to the internet without reading all the terms & Cond. jargon..(who does!)

Should i install all updates recommended by Sony?

Also are there any helpful tips n tricks to take full advantage of this machine?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, you'll need to install updates from Sony in order to access the PSN Store and play online games - just make sure you don't power off during the update process or you could "brick" your machine which effectively renders it useless. If that does happen, Sony will replace the unit as long as you were updating with an official Sony update i.e. if they find you were using one of the dodgy updates available which allow you to play copied games for example, you'd be up said creek with no paddle.
As for getting full advantage, what do you want to use it for? There are many functions available, streaming music and videos from a DNLA enabled device, storing photos, music and videos, browsing the internet, installing Linux (if you're that way inclined) as well just the standard DVD / Blu-Ray watching and of course gaming!

A

Anonymous

Prof i have a PS3 with regards to streaming your videos and music from Windows Media Player this is proving beyond me. I am connected by wifi, my router is in a different room than my PS3 and it needs to stay there hence no telephone line in my bedroom. Even when ive enabled WMP to allow device which it does, i can wait for about 2 mnutes before the PS3 will play a standard Wmv video file. And when it does play video files it constantly stops then starts again. Im using the Bebox as im with Be i have a netgear router but i wouldnt have thought that would improve things. Apart from that i cant fault the PS3 its a great blueray player and upscaling is great for Dvds. Just improve the connectivity side of things.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, wireless streaming is a different matter, especially for video. I run ethernet cable throughout my flat purely for that reason. It may well be with the new 801.11n standard which is available these days, this will improve due to the faster available bandwidth - it certainly should do, but then I guess it will depend how much interference you have going on etc.
I also always had trouble with WMP as well - found it very flaky. Since installing the client version of Twonky Media direct on my Buffalo Terastation about a year ago though, I've never had any connection issues. I believe the new Terastations come with this already installed.

TRENDING THREADS