PS3 Troubles

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a 22 month old PS3 60gb machine that has just started freezing on both Blue ray and Games.

It appears from what I've been told that the laser is faulty, which I am surprised at on such a lightly used machine.

Can anyone advise / recommend on repair or any fixes?
Have been told it would be £100.

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hear, Trev - my 60Gb version is still going okay (touch wood) so may be just one of those things - though it is used only for games now admittedly.

Let us know how you get on with Sony's repair service.

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I bought our PS3 on the day of the initial launch in 2006 ? and it has never suffered any problems. I get the impression that faults on PS£ are rare - is that the case ??

A

Anonymous

Having done a Google search the problem seems widespread.

Sony quote a cost of £150 with a 3mth guarantee which doesn't inspire me with confidence. Apparentely the Blue ray diode (made by Sony) is the weak link with tens of thousands failing world wide by reports made.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
trevor79:I have a 22 month old PS3 60gb machine that has just started freezing on both Blue ray and Games.It appears from what I've been told that the laser is faulty, which I am surprised at on such a lightly used machine.Can anyone advise / recommend on repair or any fixes? Have been told it would be £100.Thanks

trevor79:Having done a Google search the problem seems widespread.ÿ

Sony quote a cost of £150 with a 3mth guarantee which doesn't inspire me with confidence. Apparentely the Blue ray diode (made by Sony) is the weak link with tens of thousands failing world wide by reports made.

So Sony have changed their minds and now decided they want £150 to repair it instead of £100?

If you have your proof of purchase, and haven't broken the warranty sticker (on the underside of the console), I don't see why they shouldn't exchange your PS3 for a refurbished model free of charge (including the 3 month guarantee you mention). The fact it is well out of warranty shouldn't matter - mine was 18 months old when it started playing up, and now I've got a good as new console which didn't cost me a penny. I'd also add that the same thing happened to my cousin's PS3 in March, and Sony's response was exactly the same.

I'd suggest telling Sony that you have evidence of other such no-cost exchanges going on, and enquire as to why they won't extend you the same courtesy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts