ps3 set up HELP!!

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a 42"panasonic viera thpx60,a ps3 ,a sony davs-800 ,a sky plus box , at the momeny i have it setup as follows ps3 connected to tv via[IXOS] hdmi lead ,optical[QED] from ps3 to sony surround system, sky scarted to tv also audio from sky to surround via component,s-video[MONSTER CABLE] to scart for dvd player [surround]to tv,Does this setup seem ok cos i was thinking of getting the ONKYO TX SR605 would this replace my sony davs-800 or would it be additional ,any help gladly received.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Do you play SACDs? If so, do you have the older 60Gb PS3 or the newer 40Gb PS3?

Reason I ask is, if you don't play SACDs, the Onkyo can replace your Sony. You'd hook the PS3 to it via HDMI for video and sound and this could play both upscaled DVDs and Blu-Ray. The Sky+ could be connected up with Scart to the TV and optical to the Onkyo (or the same way as currently if you wanted i.e. Scart to TV and RCA phono to Onkyo). You'd then just have an HDMI from Onkyo to TV for the PS3 connection.

If you play SACDs and have the newer 40Gb PS3, you'd still need your Sony for this, which would be a pain!

You would probably need to upgrade your speakers as well!

*Edited as realised Sky+ has optical output too.

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]
Do you play SACDs? If so, do you have the older 60Gb PS3 or the newer 40Gb PS3?

Reason I ask is, if you don't play SACDs, the Onkyo can replace your Sony. You'd hook the PS3 to it via HDMI for video and sound and this could play both upscaled DVDs and Blu-Ray. The Sky+ could be connected up with Scart to the TV and optical to the Onkyo (or the same way as currently if you wanted i.e. Scart to TV and RCA phono to Onkyo). You'd then just have an HDMI from Onkyo to TV for the PS3 connection.

If you play SACDs and have the newer 40Gb PS3, you'd still need your Sony for this, which would be a pain!

You would probably need to upgrade your speakers as well!

*Edited as realised Sky+ has optical output too.
[/quote]i have the older 60gb ps3 from launch day and i dont play SACDS , So what your saying is everything would chanel through onkyo , except sky? for a speaker upgrade wouldkef-kht3005se be ok , what would you recommend and how do work out what would be ok to get the best out of the onkyo, thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sky+ would go to the Onkyo as well, but could go through optical now (or your current phono leads if necessary).

KEF KHT3005SE's are great style speakers - do you need them to be style or could you go for boxier (traditional) models? You'll get better sound for your money from boxier ones but if you want the look, then the KEF's are great. I've heard them but not personally with the Onkyo but I know WHF rated the two together so they're probably pretty good I'd say!

The only true way to work out how to get the best out of the Onkyo is to test some speakers at a dealer and see what you like - ultimately what you like and the rest of the world like could be completely at odds. However, it's good to get recommendations obviously to narrow down your auditions! Would you be using the system entirely for movies or is music important to you as well?

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
i suggested the KEF cos i saw it in the mag LOL ,I would prefer my speakers to sound good rather than just look good but a good balance would be nice, i mainly use my current setup for gaming , movies and music.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
For that sort of price, I'd recommend listening to the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 Package and the Tannoy Mercury F1 package. They both standmounting speakers so would need decent stand mounts, which would leave you around £100-£150 to cable everything up.

There's loads of deals out there though, so get yourself to a dealer, have a listen, see what they think as well. Also, do some research online and see what prices you can get. If you need advice, you can always post back here!

Hope this helps!

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]
For that sort of price, I'd recommend listening to the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 Package and the Tannoy Mercury F1 package. They both standmounting speakers so would need decent stand mounts, which would leave you around £100-£150 to cable everything up.

There's loads of deals out there though, so get yourself to a dealer, have a listen, see what they think as well. Also, do some research online and see what prices you can get. If you need advice, you can always post back here!

Hope this helps!
[/quote]Well thanks for all your quick replies and for the help , i will post back as soon as i get kitted out which may be a while yet ,i dont like to rush these sort of decisions, BTW my psn is SRL_BULLITT, cheers bud

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts