PS3 music player

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I have purchased one of the new PS3 recently and I was wondering if it would be possible to:

1 - Install a better music player or use a web music player (not sure if that even exist)? I have put my music on the PS3 with the objective of replacing my IPOD but I am loosing quality (sound from IPOD is better than from PS3) and flexibility. It would be great to be able to use a music player similar to ITUNEs with functionality such as smart playlists, genius and a decent equalizer.

2 - Internet radio - Is there a nice aplication or internet aplication to listen to radios with the PS3?

In general I have the feeling that audio quality is NOT very good both with MP3 and DVD music. I have linked with optical cable for audio to the receiver and with HDMI for video directly to my TV because my receiver does NOT accept HDMI. In all cases I have put audiosetting to bitstream (bitstream 3 for music). Is there better way to configure sound in order to improve sound quality?

My current system: Onkyo 701E with B&W 685.

A

Anonymous

Prob wont help but....

I have a program called PS3 media server and I have about 1000 songs on my PC, so what the server allows is for me to turn

on my PS3 and my PC and I can listen to all my songs that are upstairs and my PS3 down.

I got TV shows as well and the server does that to, so pretty good program.

I dont listen to the radio, so cant help there

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, I have managed to do streaming from the PS3 but the player in the PS3 is the same. It still misses the functionality of creating automatic playlists, genius and equalizer. I would like to be able to install a decent player in the PS3 itself. I wonder if Sony will ever release one or a nice operating system even if we had to pay for it, that would really be worth while.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

There is an alternative which i use to get better sound from the PS3 but it means NOT using a media server atall....i have all my music stored on a portable 320gb hard drive formatted in FAT32 (very important as the PS3 will not read it unless it is formatted in FAT32) in WAV format for lossless sound and some in MP3 with my PS3 connected via HDMI only and i'm very happy with the quality of music. It is so much better than just listening to music off of the PS3 hard drive as you have more flexibility with sound formats but no matter what you do the PS3 will not play WMA lossless but it will play everything else.

I'm not entirely sure if you will get the same results via optical but if you have a hard drive or even a memory stick then give it a go as the sound quality i currently enjoy is really nice but bear in mind you will never beat a dedicated cd player with the PS3 no matter what you do, and try to keep any MP3's in high quality 320kbps for a better sound. As for servers i don't think sony has any plans for such an idea on PS3 and you can't access any of the recognised streaming services due to the limited nature of the PS3 internet browser, boooo! You can however stream from a laptop or desktop straight to the PS3 so it may well be a case of experimenting untill you get a sound you are happy with.

Hope that helps
emotion-1.gif

GazzyP

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
It has been said that you are best to set the PS3 to output via optical at 44.2khz (CD standard) for music - otherwise it resamples to 48khz which will affect the sound quality. Otherwise sound quality from the PS3 via optical should be absolutelty fine.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, it is surprising that it can read different audio formats from an external HD than from an internal HD. In any case and unless the other issues are not solved, I will not be able to replace the IPO dfor music by the PS3.

About the quality vs a dedicated CD player I fully agree but I am surprised that it is worse than the quality of an IPOD connecte via jack which is what I currently use for music.

Regarding the streaming, it can stream videos from youtube and even TV shows like from seriesjonkies.com so, it should not have any problem to stream radio stations.... I guess.

The PS3 really has a lot of potential in these areas so, I hope that some day Sony will focus and develop further.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
GazzyP:It has been said that you are best to set the PS3 to output via optical at 44.2khz (CD standard) for music - otherwise it resamples to 48khz which will affect the sound quality. Otherwise sound quality from the PS3 via optical should be absolutelty fine.

Yes, I tried that already and I believe you are right it sounds better with 44.2khz but, I had 2 issues with that.

1 - If you have this setting you can not navigate through your music while you are listening. This is already a killer because you have to stop the song that is currently playing in order to search for another song.

2 - For some reason when I connected the TV via the HDMI, I lost the sound when playing music via the optical. It worked well with DVDs but for some reason the music did not sound (and yes I have everything checked in the music settings). I wonder if this is a bug....

For those 2 reasons I had to go back to 48Khz which is a pitty. In any case even then at 44.2.Khz I did a one to one comparison with the IPOD and the IPOD was still the winner. Not by very far but, it was a bit warmer sound than the PS3 and more musical.

TRENDING THREADS