PS Audio: Perfect facepalm?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just stumbled across PS Audio's description for their PerfectWave AC cables, and I don't understand them.

The theory is quite simple: you analyse the transmission characteristics of your power cables, observe that the cable does not respond the same way to the tested frequencies, and redesign your cable so that it does exhibit your preferred characteristics. In their case, they are introducing strands of different thickness (and different shape!) to allow all frequencies the most unimpeded transportation possible.

Except... (and please do correct me if I'm wrong here)... there is only one mains frequency (50Hz) that you actually want to have, right? All other frequencies should be unwanted, and only add impurity to your system? Did PS Audio really design a power cable that will protect noise as it travels to your amp?

What am I missing here?

A

Anonymous

Just to be clear: I'm not asking whether these products work at all. I don't care. I really don't want this to degenerate in another cable-bashing thread, we have enough of those already.

I'm asking what problem these people were thinking to solve with a solution like this...

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I think its a marketing problem. Hi-fi buyers understand the concept of bass, mid and treble, so if you can ascribe these characteristics to your mains cable that sounds like a plausible theory of operation to the layman.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Just my twopence -

I admit I dont understand mains supplies and the full effects on hifi equipment. I certainly dont understand how bass and particularly treble might change according to characteristics of a mains cable (Aside from removal of RFI and EMI)

But I do trust my ears whilst understanding possible psychological effects (Placebos for example)

I bought some older style RA 16 core mains cables recently off ebay. Knowing they were used I was expecting great results on my amps (pre and power). I wasnt impressed, there was a definite drop in quality from the cables id taken off which didnt make sense to me. I considered the possibility that my equipment might need to 'acclimatise' to the new leads for whatever reason.

Last night I was watching a film (about 5 days after fitting the cables) and suddenly bass tones seemed to engulf the sound. Ive watched the film before so im well aware that it shouldnt sound that way.

Checking ebay I realised theyre actually brand new cables, which require a mass amount of 'running in'. How changes within a cable can suddenly enhance bass (or a drop in the rest of the frequencies?) is beyond me, but I know what I heard and recall the same effect when I fitted the cables they replaced.

Taking this into consideration, I suppose if the physics are understood (or at least people who can hear changes), then mains cables could be manufactured to take all frequencies into account.

Im dying to know the science behind it all mind.

Sorry there are no real answers here, I was just giving the possibilty that perhaps its not just all about a 50hz wave? (or maybe it is? As in any change in the wave results in frequency phase shifts?)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
But I do trust my ears whilst understanding possible psychological effects (Placebos for example)

aah, good. you'll understand then, that your ears can't be relied on due to psychological effects.

A

Anonymous

No, we wouldn't want to go trusting our ears now, would we? In answer to the thread about why people depart, this is a prime example. It was requested it didn't turn into another cable argy-bargy, and hey presto.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
aah, good. you'll understand then, that your ears can't be relied on due to psychological effects.

I also understand that psychological effetcs are only in effect if I believe in them. I DIDNT believe there would be a drop in quality and I DIDNT believe that bass would become pronounced

Even if placebo was in effect, it would fool me for a short while at best which is why I test things over weeks, months

I also understand that whatever it is I am hearing has not 'yet' been fully measured (or even at all)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
12th said:
No, we wouldn't want to go trusting our ears now, would we? In answer to the thread about why people depart, this is a prime example. It was requested it didn't turn into another cable argy-bargy, and hey presto.

oh grow up! i am not interested in a cable discussion, i was just pointing out that being aware of placebo effects doesn't render you immune to them, as riks post seemed to suggest.

A

Anonymous

Apologies, Andrew. It just seems as though it isn't possible to discuss cabling here without suffering the slings and arrows, which I think is a pity. The thread about modding Monitor Audio speakers is a prime case in point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts