Promoted: See LG’s new 4K OLED television at What Hi-Fi? HQ

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Tonkerdog said:
Technology and prices moving forward and down on a daily basis, time to sit back and see how this exciting technolofy settles. How did LG seem to come from nowhere to now being at the forefront of developement???
I think LG has always been big and has lots of money to invest.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
his dudeness said:
the samsung suhd tvs seem to be brilliant but they will not produce the blacks of oled,lg have a prototype hdr oled at ces.

It's worth reading Mark Hogkinson's piece on High Dymanic Range technology, available at: https://www.avforums.com/article/what-is-a-hdr-4k-tv-ces-2015.11039

Mark points out that:

"[OLED is] not currently able to hit the luminance levels demanded by HDR. We believe the new crop of LG OLEDs can hit around 500 nits - so half the requirement - but [it’s] possible LG can find a way of obtaining 1000 cd/m2 in the future."

To my knowledge, LG is intergrating QD and HDR on its LED models, but LG's OLED displays cannot achieve required luminance to fully implement HDR.

If this was as easy as observing that HDR only relates to brightness levels the discussion would be simple, because a TV displaying a static white field at 1,000 cd/m2 would be unbearably bright. If you work through the article, however, the situation is a little more complicated.

At the same time, I take your point about OLED native black level.

Given the choice, I'd take a 4K OLED TV with passive 3D over a 4K LED model with QD and HDR.

I may be among a small minority of consumers who feel this way, however, and I can imgaine people buying into "X times brighter" marketing rhetoric.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
yea i saw this artical today interesting read i hope its not all about brightness and theres always something new in screen teck to sell us more tv s ,being used to plasma for years i couldnt have an lcd screen even if it can hit 1000 nit peak,the only tv im currently lusting after is like you 4k oled to the point i may buy later in the year price dependent,i really hope suhd does nt push oled the way of plasma.all the companys unable to make oled are going to produce 4k hdr sets which will probably produce fantastic pictures and at a lower price,then market forces come into play,looking forward to seeing some of these new screens.*biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts