Promoted: See LG’s new 4K OLED television at What Hi-Fi? HQ

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

So what's the LG 4K TV like then? Is it the best TV?

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
gel said:
So what's the LG 4K TV like then? Is it the best TV?

The impression i got was people were about to rob banks, so yeah.
Cheers! What was the 4K like? What material was they showing? Cheers.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Oh No - I cant believe I missed it even more now Pacific Rim is my favourite as well.

I would love to have seen how it compares to at home

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello ellisdj, you're not about to go the way of our friend gel and start lusting after the latest shiny new toy, when you do have the very fine, and now extinct, Panasonic 65VT65 calibrated plasma, are you???

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Seriously, THIS REVIEW shows that it is very, very good. The review is for an American model, and 65" size (nowhere in this thread can I find a model number nor a size for the machine that was shown off at What Hi-Fi), but I can't argue with the man when he says "As the first 4K OLED on the market, the LG 65EC9700 (MSRP $11,999.99) is incredibly exciting. This marriage of the newest innovations in display tech yields truly breathtaking picture quality, the best we've ever seen."

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
LOl Son of SJ - I was joking about seeing my favourite Pacific Rim upscaled to 4K.

In all honesty I am trying to push the picture quality of my own set with settings and other voodoo it would have been an interesting comparison to the best on a film I know very well.

I lust more after sound upgrades - the sound is 80% of any film with the exception of pacific rim more like 60/40 :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Seriously, THIS REVIEW shows that it is very, very good. The review is for an American model, and 65" size (nowhere in this thread can I find a model number nor a size for the machine that was shown off at What Hi-Fi), but I can't argue with the man when he says "As the first 4K OLED on the market, the LG 65EC9700 (MSRP $11,999.99) is incredibly exciting. This marriage of the newest innovations in display tech yields truly breathtaking picture quality, the best we've ever seen."
Great link, cheers!

D

Deleted member 2457

I can see this TV going down to £2,500 like the Panasonic 65vt65 was.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Gee, gel, do rein in on your fantasies! The difference between the two sets is that the Panasonic 65VT65 started out at about £3,4000 and ended at about £2,400. This new 65" 4K OLED by LG is starting at about (if I've converted from dollars to pounds correctly!) £8,500 and you think that it will drop as far as £2,500? What happy pills are you on???

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Gee, gel, do rein in on your fantasies! The difference between the two sets is that the Panasonic 65VT65 started out at about £3,4000 and ended at about £2,400. This new 65" 4K OLED by LG is starting at about (if I've converted from dollars to pounds correctly!) £8,500 and you think that it will drop as far as £2,500? What happy pills are you on???
Quite a few as it goes. *smile*. Don't forget my LG started at £8000 and I got an ex-display one for £1800 including sound bar and tablet. This one is starting at £6500 and people aren't going to pay that price, so just watch it fall. I have set myself a target of £2500 and then I will pull the trigger, I don't mind if it's ex-display either, as long as I can get it from John Lewis.

D

Deleted member 2457

I am tempted to wait and get a free 4K Blu-Ray player with it too. *biggrin*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I've given up commenting on gel's proposed spending urges, and in fact I am in no moral position to do so as a new thread on Monday will show!

Have you clicked on the two links that I gave in posts 33 and 36?

Son_of_SJ said:
I've given up commenting on gel's proposed spending urges, and in fact I am in no moral position to do so as a new thread on Monday will show!

Have you clicked on the two links that I gave in posts 33 and 36?

Yes I did. Interesting read. I've always believed that OLED will show its true potential in 4K. Just have to wait for 4K content now. :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
We've teamed-up with LG to give you the chance to see LG's new 4K OLED TV (and a few other goodies) at our offices later this month.

Mr Cox, when can we expect a What Hi-Fi review of LG's 4K OLED, please? You might have seen the links that I gave in posts 33 and 36, the Americans have given absolutely glowing initial reviews.

Tonkerdog

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Technology and prices moving forward and down on a daily basis, time to sit back and see how this exciting technolofy settles. How did LG seem to come from nowhere to now being at the forefront of developement???

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Tonkerdog said:
Technology and prices moving forward and down on a daily basis, time to sit back and see how this exciting technolofy settles. How did LG seem to come from nowhere to now being at the forefront of developement???

I wouldn't rush to judgement on any of this.

CES is awash with talk of Quantum Dot and High Dynamic Range technologies, which in combination may oust OLED, regardless of which technology ultimately produces a superior picture.

And while LG may be at the forefront of development, OLED is currently a very niche technology that consumers could well overlook.

With 4K, QD, HDR, and OLED emerging relatively simultaneously, the manufacturers with the largest market share pushing the first three and not the last, and OLED technology's current incompatibility with HDR, we're in wild west territory. Even the most ardent videophiles are confused by the current situation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts