Project III Debut Phono buzz noise

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all
emotion-1.gif

after many years without a turntable I decided it was time to recover my vinyl collection and just got a brand new Pro-Ject Debut III Phono USB, but my first experience has been somewhat disappointing
emotion-6.gif

After connecting the turntable to the Disc entry in my NAD C352 amplifier, I can hear a buzz noise coming out of the speakers (this doesn't happen with any other source). After that, I attached the ground wire to a screw in the amplifier but made no difference.

Is this noise normal to the Debut III Phono? Any suggestion on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!!

A

Anonymous

No, not normal at all. If you run it through one of the other line level inputs, do you get the same thing? If so, that would suggest there might be a problem with the Pro-Ject. Where did you buy it from?

A

Anonymous

Easy Peasy, the turntable needs grounding. Does the phono version have a grouding lead?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Tractorboy.

I've tried with the CD line input and get same noise.

I must add this happens even with the motor off.

In addition, the noise doesn't change when I play with the ground wire and touch it. Therefore, I think it looks like a problem with the phono stage in the Pro-Ject.

I bought it from a reputable dealer in Barcelona (where I live), I'm going to contact them tomorrow about this.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Easy Peasy, the turntable needs grounding. Does the phono version have a grouding lead?[/quote]

That was my first thought even though I cannot see the point (I understand the phono stage needs to share ground with the turntable, but I don't see the reason why it is needed between the amp and the phono out -the same as it is not needed for tuner, CD player, etc-).

Anyway, I've attached the ground wire to the amp metal case (tested on two different points), but I keep on getting the same noise.

Regards

John Duncan

Can you hear it at normal listening levels or do you only hear it when you turn the amp right up? Because I'd say the latter is normal, in my experience of phono stages (which have to do an awful lot of amplifying).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Can you hear it at normal listening levels or do you only hear it when you turn the amp right up? Because I'd say the latter is normal, in my experience of phono stages (which have to do an awful lot of amplifying).[/quote]

I'm afraid it can be heard with the volume at the level I use to listen to the music.

Anyway, I have returned it and am waiting for a new unit. Let's wait and see. I'll come back to post the outcome when I have the new unit ;-)

A

Anonymous

Well, there have been some news around my issue.

First of all, Pro-Ject support has confirmed my unit was a faulty one.

I've just set up the new unit they sent me. It is less noisy, but there is still some noise (it can be heard clearly before the amp volume control reaches 50% of level). My first attempts playing with grounding brings some -small- improvement. To sum up, it is noisier than I'd like but think could cope with it.

But then, I've been unable to adjust vertical tracking force because the arm is too firmly hold and cannot move free
emotion-39.gif

Definetily, I cannot understand the good comments I've always read about the Pro-Ject Debut III. My experience with it is that of a low quality product. I'll try to get my money back and go for another turntable.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

I'm updating this in case it is useful for somebody else.

Regarding the noise, I think it could be interference from the amplifier and need to work on it.

Regarding the arm problem, after getting in contact with Pro-Ject distributor it seems that, in spite of it being pretty unusual, there was no real problem with the arm.

Even though I was initially exceptic I must admit the guy knew what was going on while providing me with step-by-step instructions to check it. In addition he offered to visit me at home and apparently, he is a well known audiophile who even contributes to Hi-Fi magazines from time to time.

So I'm looking forward to have this man checking my system at home ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts