Problems with speakers, do i need new drivers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a pair of Tannoy Mercury F4s paired with NAD pre and power amps, recently during a slightly prolonged loud session, i began to hear a sort of rattling coming from the speakers when there is any deep bass, at higher volumes, i opened them up and the drivers seem to be completely sealed and un-serviceable, do you think i need new drivers? and if so any ideas on where to get them?

oh and do they need to be identical, or can you 'upgrade' the drivers,

thanks.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like the speaker cones could be hitting the chassis. If you continue playing at high volume you could damage both the speakers and your ears.

If the sound is OK at normal listening levels, then you don't have a problem. Otherwise, you'll need replacement drivers, and you should use the same ones. It is possible to use drivers from other makers providing they meet exactly the same specifications the originals, preferably crossover response, frequency response, sensitivity, impedance, rated power, thiele/small and sensitivity parameters as otherwise you will unbalance the sound.

Have a look at works by speaker designers such as Vance Dickason if you want to go down this route.

A

Anonymous

Are you sure you could hear rattling? or was it in fact bass port 'chuffing'. I had a pair of Mercury M3's which the F4's are a multiply evolved version of, they chuffed like mad with deep bass and high volumes.

try stickign a 30hz sine wave through them and increase the volume until it does it again.

oh and try bunging your ports.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts