Problem with tonearm

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The tonearm lift has a rubber bump stop on it. When the tonearm is in the surface area of the record with grooves, it will be lifted to the correct height. When you swing the tonearm past the run out groove the tonearm lift is no longer in play, this is normal. But a couple of things to check.

1. Check there is no up and down play at the pivot.

dc1.jpg

2. Make sure you have the right height set on the tonearm lift - easily adjustable with a small flat screwdriver.
dc2.jpg

You want to be aiming for about 5-7mm clearance over the surface of the vinyl.
dc3.jpg

4. This shows the rubber bump stop and where abouts on the record where it stops supporting the tonearm.
dc4.jpg

dc7.jpg

dc8.jpg

GeorgePt

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
thanks very much for the help Mr Brownz,after all i set it up but i think my needle jump,i have a video..
tell me your opinion.. there is some crackling also maybe from the dust or something..

https://youtu.be/7KYG50_Dtm0

D

Deleted member 108165

GeorgePt said:
thanks very much for the help Mr Brownz,after all i set it up but i think my needle jump,i have a video..tell me your opinion.. there is some crackling also maybe from the dust or something..

https://youtu.be/7KYG50_Dtm0

Poor video but that's not a needle jump, it's a scratch on the LP surface. Crackling could be dust, if the noise persists after a thorough cleaning of the LP and stylus then the LP is knackered. Are you listening through headphones or speakers?

D

Deleted member 108165

priam said:
Your df should be 17.5 btw.

Please stop quoting VTF as 17.5 grams, it should be in the region of 1.75 grams! A decimal point in the wrong place can make a huge difference *biggrin*

GeorgePt

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
Poor video but that's not a needle jump, it's a scratch on the LP surface. Crackling could be dust, if the noise persists after a thorough cleaning of the LP and stylus then the LP is knackered. Are you listening through headphones or speakers?

So the scratches cause needle to move like this? I'm afraid the needle makes scratches etc at the lp..
After all im trying again to make full level the turnable,the floor sucks haha so i try to put something after the turntables feet (no adjustable feet) but is hard enough to level it dead on.. Also im listening through speakers.

D

Deleted member 108165

GeorgePt said:
So the scratches cause needle to move like this? I'm afraid the needle makes scratches etc at the lp..After all im trying again to make full level the turnable,the floor sucks haha so i try to put something after the turntables feet (no adjustable feet) but is hard enough to level it dead on.. Also im listening through speakers.

I was referring to the loud click I heard in the video. If you are referring to the side to side motion of the arm then no, this is reasonably normal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts