Problem with TEAC VRDS7

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anybody help?

I have a TEAC VRDS7 CD player, which will play 2 complete discs and usually on the 3rd track of the 3rd disc it stops playing and will only resume playing if I turn everything off for an hour.It is run with a valve amp. The problem has remained despite 4 different engineers checking it out and having a new spindle motor and new laser, which has cost plenty of money but the original problem is still there, even though they say it is cured, when it is returned to me the problem has'nt been cured.

It has been suggested radio waves emitted from the amp could be causing the problem, is this possible and is there any cure?

We are 1 mile from BBC analog transmitters and also have a broadband wireless hub. Would this have any effect on it?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
To me as a a (long time ago) technician, it sounds like a heat (warmth) problem. Is there enough ventilation of air (from underneath)? Is there no unwanted heat from the valve-amp ?

You could (carefully) try the warm airstream of a hairdryer to check this out. Or try to postpone the effect by using some ventilator (cooling).

These are tough problems to solve because a technician has to simulate the fault to happen.

I hope this helps you.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The problem won't be down to stray RF fields or anything like that...

I'm not familiar with this unit but a little research shows it uses a standard Sony KSS240 pickup. These were always troublesome the main problem being the lens suspension assembly.

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/kss240a/aiwa-cd-optical-pick-up-kss240a/dp/AS00004?Ntt=kss240

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/spares-televsion-audio-video/laser-optical-heads-cd-dvd-assemblys-alternative/kss-type-range/kss240a-laser-optical-head-alternative.htm

There could be many reasons for the symptoms you are getting. When it fails part way into a disc will it then "read" any other disc you put in even it it fails to play correctly. This may sound strange but if the player is turned upside down (assuming the loader mech allows that without the disc fouling on anything) does it then play ? If so that points to the suspension problem with the lens... are you 100% sure it has actually been replaced ?

If you put the player in free space o a table, maybe even with the top off does it play continually OK ?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
This could be a laser tracking problem, perhaps old and dried grease on the mechanism rails? Does the mechanism stop moving at track three? You could try looking with the top case off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts