Problem with Sony BD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Sony blu-ray player (can't remember the model, but it was the best buy >£300 18 months or so back).

When it plays a blu-ray, the picture stutters and freezes, as if there is a fault/scratch on the blu-ray. This doesn't happen with DVD's

It occurs on all BD's which means it must be a player problem, and I have put a lens cleaning disc in to no avail.

My amateur sluething suggests to me it may be somethig to do with the decoding chips and/or the cache memory. A google search on the model has revealed nothing relating to this issue.

I'm thinking that it'll need a proper diagnostic and repair, by which time I may as well buy a new model.

Any views on the Cambridge Audio 650BD ? Does anyone know if they're available anywhere other than Richer Sounds and why RS are implying they have very few left, as if the production run is coming to an end ? Why woud CA replace a best buy model so quicjkly ?

Sorry, lots of questions. Any help gratefully received.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
From your description, it sounds like you have a sick Sony BDP-S760. But if it's only 18 months old, you're entitled to a refund - sure you don't want to pursue that route before you splash some more cash?

Re the Cambridge Audio - it's last year's model, and the lifecycle on CE kit rarely makes it past the year mark (if that!) There is probably a 651BD (or whatever the upgrade model will be called) in the pipeline for a late summer launch (when the '650BD came out last year); meanwhile the higher-end '751BD has been introduced.

What's the rest of your system? Is 3D important to you? (Mind you, it's almost impossible to avoid with players from @£150!)

A

Anonymous

Thanks Claire. It's a good point - I was asssuming it was maybe a year warranty. I'll look into it.

I thought the CA was a bit more recent than that but yes, if it's getting on for a year, then it'll be ready to be replaced.

The rest of my system is a Kuro, Arcam AVR600, KEF's all round and a Cyrus CD spinner and DENON DVD player to handle surround music. It's all 3.5 years old, apart from the BD player and a CA DAC for networked music.

I have a few SACD;s and DVD-A's, as well as some music DVD's and 5.1 releases, so quite keen to get a universal player. I would have got an Oppo but that all fell throu, so decided to stay with the Denon and add the Sony.

3D has yet to convince me either in the cinema or at home, so it's not important to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts