Problem resolved I think?

Swordtail

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys

I think I finally found out why I have never been happy with the sound of my hifi. When I tell hifi shops what I have got they usually tell me to change different parts of my hifi-no one can ever agree which part-or that I should be enjoying the set up I have got. I brought power amp and subwoofer on advice to sort out the problem but ended up feeling it was money down the drain.

the sound I felt from the beginning to now lacked openness, warmth, limited sound stage and excitement. After reading a lot of posts I feel the problem lies with fact that the amps and speakers are not compatible. I feel the roksans cannot deal with the power the proak 140s need. The reason I have come to this conclusion is because unless the volume is put up really loud the sound does not sound good-even than its alittle messy at times.

Therefore I feel the cheapest option will be to change the speakers when I am listerning to music-tv sound is excellent, weird I know. At present Roksan Kandy 2 speakers have come down in price and since they are the same brand as my amps I feel they should be well matched. I have heard kandy speakers lacks a bit of bass but I can resolve the problem because I have a rel subwoofer.

What do you guys think?

Also I would like to know if I chose instead to replace the amps with a avr, how much power in watts would the avr have to be to successfully drive my proak 140s? This way I can start the beginnings of a surround system too. Hehe.

any advice would be great. Thanks

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Swordtail said:
Hi guys

I think I finally found out why I have never been happy with the sound of my hifi. When I tell hifi shops what I have got they usually tell me to change different parts of my hifi-no one can ever agree which part-or that I should be enjoying the set up I have got. I brought power amp and subwoofer on advice to sort out the problem but ended up feeling it was money down the drain.

the sound I felt from the beginning to now lacked openness, warmth, limited sound stage and excitement. After reading a lot of posts I feel the problem lies with fact that the amps and speakers are not compatible. I feel the roksans cannot deal with the power the proak 140s need. The reason I have come to this conclusion is because unless the volume is put up really loud the sound does not sound good-even than its alittle messy at times.

Therefore I feel the cheapest option will be to change the speakers when I am listerning to music-tv sound is excellent, weird I know. At present Roksan Kandy 2 speakers have come down in price and since they are the same brand as my amps I feel they should be well matched. I have heard kandy speakers lacks a bit of bass but I can resolve the problem because I have a rel subwoofer.

What do you guys think?

Also I would like to know if I chose instead to replace the amps with a avr, how much power in watts would the avr have to be to successfully drive my proak 140s? This way I can start the beginnings of a surround system too. Hehe.

How big is your listening room and how have you positioned the Proacs? Against a side or back wall, or in free space? I read somewhere that they need lots of space to really shine...

Swordtail

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
My listerning room is quite decent sized, through lounge. The proaks have a lot of space, at

least one foot away from the walls from all sides.

insider9

Roksan Kandy K2 TR5 are really good speakers but I believe they were built with jazz in mind. It's important to know that. They have a slightly pronounced upper mids that makes vocals and horns sound sublime. They don't go very low in bass but are able to produce plenty enough of it and would likely get lost in a large room. They are very fast speakers, image well and can produce excellent a very good soundstage.

They were built to compliment Roksan Kandy K2 amp that has a bump in low mids that the speakers have slightly recessed (at least vs upper mids that are forward).

Anyway the ribbon tweeters are superb and as long as you understand the speakers are not neutral and it doesn't bother you than great. By no means these are perfect speakers. For me the things they do so well are sublime that I'm willing to accept their shortfalls.

I haven't listened to them with Kandy K2 amp but to me they very disappointing with K3 and Audiolab 8300CD. Speakers are able to produce much,much more detail and texture than that combo did. The pairing in my signature is great and temporarily my upgraditis is cured.

jjbomber

Swordtail said:
Hi guys

I think I finally found out why I have never been happy with the sound of my hifi. When I tell hifi shops what I have got they usually tell me to change different parts of my hifi-

What do you guys think?

Make up your own list of kit you want to listen to and audition.

Take your own music that you will be listening to.

Buy what you like.

Even a good hi-fi shop can only advise what kit they like. A bad one will just recommend what they need to sell. Nobody can tell you what is best for you. We all have different listening preferences. You and you alone must decide what is best for you. A good hi-fi shop won't mind, as they'll get your money in the end, whatever you decide. If you are buying what other people like, you won't be happy. Buy what you like, no matter what anyone else likes. then, and only then, will you be happy with the sound of your hifi.

Swordtail

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. However do you guys think my theory is correct that my caspian amps are not powerfull enough to run the proaks. I have to either change the speakers or get more powerful amps. The reason why I am saying this is because unless I put the volume up high all the time-not practical or enjoyable- is the sound enjoyable and even than its hafe decent.

Also if I were to change my amps for a avr so that I could also start a surround system aswell how powerful in watts would the avr have to be to run the proak 140s?

Thanks

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Swordtail,

Who advised you to buy a power amp and sub?

What recordings have you been listening to?

What makes you think the sonic problems in your system - which are most apparent at lower volumes: IE listening levels of less than 1 watt power - are caused by insufficient power from your amplifier?

Where in the world do you live?

When was the last time you heard a system that you would be happy to live with? Have you ever heard any systems anywhere that you would be happy to live with? Assuming you have, what components were in that system and what recordings were played?

How much have you paid for your system so far in total?

Your current kit should be capable of producing high quality sound.

You shouldn't need a sub, I wouldn't have thought.

id be trying speaker positioning, you can get great results from this.

the problem with forums is that there's usually loads of info you don't think is important but probably is.

Photos can help too.

TRENDING THREADS