Probably my next upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
You wouldn't have to.
The X2B TT has the mini XLR and RCA connection on its rear.

The Project website says 'if you want to use your X2B turntable with a Phono Box S3B you need'......the mini XLR cable.

But you can still use TT (RCA) direct to your amp in the conventional way.
(Without buying the S3B box - which is only necessary if you can use its balanced out).
One thing that puzzles me is on the X2B it has a Quintet Red MC cart. That retails at around £350, roughly the same price as the Goldring 1042 and Ortofon Bronze.

I know you originally said, "the new Pro-ject....and a cartridge upgrade", or something on those lines. I'd rather have a similar priced MM cart.
I understand that but the whole point of the balanced turntables is they are balanced from start to finish, this is what gives them their sound quality, and therefore they must use a Moving Coil cartridge.
If you must have a moving magnet forget the X2b deck

I'll certainly give the X2B a listen shortly.
Good idea if you can but remember you will only get the full benefit if you buy into the complete balanced package otherwise it's just another turntable, the Quintet Red cartridge is the cheapest one they could fit to it in this respect and it isn't brilliant on It's own.
However, as a package it will certainly be a vast improvement on a more expensive non balanced deck fitted with an Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet.

Good idea if you can but remember you will only get the full benefit if you buy into the complete balanced package otherwise it's just another turntable, the Quintet Red cartridge is the cheapest one they could fit to it in this respect and it isn't brilliant on It's own.
However, as a package it will certainly be a vast improvement on a more expensive non balanced deck fitted with an Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet.
Understood.

Agreed, for the likes of people who have an MC facility on their amp, no problem, but forcing MC on people who don't have this facility will require another box to get them going. I think this is a money grabbing exercise and shortsighted.
Yeah, I can see that.

The built-in MM version on my amp is very good, yet I have read articles stating the MC side sounds fairly clinical by comparison. No idea if that is true.

This hasn't left my thoughts, thinking of the Marantz TT-15S1. I know a couple of people own one on this forum but rarely gets spoken about. It appeals to me on more than one level, based on the Clearaudio Emotion.
It appeals to me because it looks cool! I thought it was pretty much discontinued, but it’s still on the Marantz website at £2100. For a long time it was around £1500 with deals closer to a grand.

My Technics is also about 50% more than when launched a few years ago. But definitely worth a look as it seems essentially timeless, and will definitely outlive me!

Reactions: WayneKerr
It appeals to me because it looks cool! I thought it was pretty much discontinued, but it’s still on the Marantz website at £2100. For a long time it was around £1500 with deals closer to a grand.

My Technics is also about 50% more than when launched a few years ago. But definitely worth a look as it seems essentially timeless, and will definitely outlive me!
Those Technics are built like tanks. The SL1500C appeals also, the only thing letting it down IMHO is the fitted cartridge, Ortofon red. I'm not a fan.

Those Technics are built like tanks. The SL1500C appeals also, the only thing letting it down IMHO is the fitted cartridge, Ortofon red. I'm not a fan.
But it’s practically for free, and I’m sure you could get a deal on a Blue or Bronze if you bought as a package. Not local to you, but Doug Brady does various bundles and you’ll see currently they give away a Blue or Red in lieu of a discount on the 1210GR.

WayneKerr

Got mine for just over a grand all in from a Dutch supplier. It is a cool looking turntable and sounds cool too. Only thing missing was a dust cover which I sourced from a UK company.

To satisfy my lust for a DD Technics I've got a Pioneer clone, it's quite smart too but nowhere near as good as the Marantz for build quality and sound.

Reactions: nopiano
Got mine for just over a grand all in from a Dutch supplier. It is a cool looking turntable and sounds cool too. Only thing missing was a dust cover which I sourced from a UK company.

To satisfy my lust for a DD Technics I've got a Pioneer clone, it's quite smart too but nowhere near as good as the Marantz for build quality and sound.
What cartridge do you have on the Marantz?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts