Probably my next upgrade

Gray

I've heard and played with quite a few turntables (love the Technics direct drives).
Always set everything up optimally, but have never seriously compared their sounds.

Have only ever fitted modest models of Ortofon, Grado and AT cartridges though.
Currently got 4 decks:
IMG_20230528_144616_MP.jpg
Top left is my first serious TT (bought as part of a list of components given to me by my Uncle)
Nice sprung subchassis.

Bottom 2 were given to me -the Dual needs a new headshell (not an easy job) but is otherwise OK.

Top right is the 160S - on paper the best of the 4.....but I wouldn't bet money on that if I ever get round to comparing them.

I've heard and played with quite a few turntables (love the Technics direct drives).
Always set everything up optimally, but have never seriously compared their sounds.

Have only ever fitted modest models of Ortofon, Grado and AT cartridges though.
Currently got 4 decks:
View attachment 4829
Top left is my first serious TT (bought as part of a list of components given to me by my Uncle)
Nice sprung subchassis.

Bottom 2 were given to me -the Dual needs a new headshell (not an easy job) but is otherwise OK.

Top right is the 160S - on paper the best of the 4.....but I wouldn't bet money on that if I ever get round to comparing them.
Quite a collection of tables. Do you use any of them on a regular basis?

Certainly a Technics does appeal, the first time I've owned DD turntable

Gray

Quite a collection of tables. Do you use any of them on a regular basis?

Certainly a Technics does appeal, the first time I've owned DD turntable
The Thorens was my regular, previously with AT now with VM-95E cartridge.
No doubt SQ would benefit from a cart upgrade, but the deck currently remains in storage in favour of playing FLAC files of CD and selected ripped vinyl (the vinyl I've so far bothered to archive properly).

Presumably you own enough vinyl to justify your thoughts of a TT upgrade, in which case, good luck to you, there's still plenty of options 👍

A 1500C would be nice (if it were half its price 🤨....once you'd replaced the Ortofon Red that you're not keen on)

The Thorens was my regular, previously with AT now with VM-95E cartridge.
No doubt SQ would benefit from a cart upgrade, but the deck currently remains in storage in favour of playing FLAC files of CD and selected ripped vinyl (the vinyl I've so far bothered to archive properly).

Presumably you own enough vinyl to justify your thoughts of a TT upgrade, in which case, good luck to you, there's still plenty of options 👍

A 1500C would be nice (if it were half its price 🤨....once you'd replaced the Ortofon Red that you're not keen on)
Oh yes, been collecting vinyl since I was 10. Tiger Feet was the first single by Mud.

If anyone has a view on the Classic or the subject matter in general, I would like to read them.
Looks aside, if you are thinking of a Project turntable then their balanced decks are the ones to go for .
The X2B or more expensive X8 will leave many Rega decks floundering with the right cartridge fitted. In my humble opinion.
Says an ex Planar 3 fanboy.....

Reactions: plastic penguin

Gray

The only thing against the X2B is it has a phono box which isn't needed with my amp.
I don't know much about it, but isn't the box optional?

I could well be wrong but isn't it just for the fully balanced use?

There are still RCA outputs from the TT itself?? for connection to your amp's phono input?

(XLR cable only used for connection between TT and their specific intermediary box??)

No doubt a review will explain.

I don't know much about it, but isn't the box optional?

I could well be wrong but isn't it just for the fully balanced use?

There are still RCA outputs from the TT itself?? for connection to your amp's phono input?

(XLR cable only used for connection between TT and their specific intermediary box??)

Not sure, Gray. Only read the description on the Henley site and it didn't mention anything about them being optional.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

The WHF review is worth a look.
Because it's done by their Australian division, it goes into more detail (even about Slovak car manufacture for those interested in cars).

It does make the important point that not all cartridges would give the benefit of balanced operation (when, they themselves, are not balanced).

The WHF review is worth a look.
Because it's done by their Australian division, it goes into more detail (even about Slovak car manufacture for those interested in cars).

It does make the important point that not all cartridges would give the benefit of balanced operation (when, they themselves, are not balanced).
All moving coil cartridges are essentially balanced which is why the X2B comes with one fitted, the same does not apply, I believe, to moving magnet type.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Yeah the XLR cables I've no idea how to connect them...
You wouldn't have to.
The X2B TT has the mini XLR and RCA connection on its rear.

The Project website says 'if you want to use your X2B turntable with a Phono Box S3B you need'......the mini XLR cable.

But you can still use TT (RCA) direct to your amp in the conventional way.
(Without buying the S3B box - which is only necessary if you can use its balanced out).

Reactions: plastic penguin

TRENDING THREADS