ProAc response D18 or D28?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
sa2013 said:
Hi Rick,

Thanks. I'll see if I can find them, although may be difficult.

Hi sa2013

Your welcome.

If you do manage to track a pair then ask the dealer to also show you the drive units of the curved SCM40's in the flesh (away from their cabinets). I think you'll be impressed

Btw, where do you live please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm in Aus, it's possible to buy ATC speakers but I haven't seen them on demo as yet.

Hi sa2013

Thanks for your reply.

If you haven't aleady done so then please contact their Australian distributor Jim Tate Stereo. I am sure they'll be happy to help you as i feel you should find the performance of curved SCM40 monitors to be worth the time and effort.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

SCM40 are not monitors but floorstanders the SCM7/11/19 are monitors .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ISAC69 said:

As I understand it, a Monitor is simply a speaker designed for audio production applications; wheras Near-Field Monitors are small.

ISAC69 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
sa2013 said:
Hi Rick,

Hi sa2013

Your welcome.

If you do manage to track a pair then ask the dealer to also show you the drive units of the curved SCM40's in the flesh (away from their cabinets). I think you'll be impressed

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm in Aus, it's possible to buy ATC speakers but I haven't seen them on demo as yet.

Hi sa2013

Thanks for your reply.

If you haven't aleady done so then please contact their Australian distributor Jim Tate Stereo. I am sure they'll be happy to help you as i feel you should find the performance of curved SCM40 monitors to be worth the time and effort.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi ISAC69

Are you bored of playing with cables *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You may find the R700s are also too bass heavy for your room.....R500s "may" work better for you.

- IMO. The Proacs need more careful (amp) matching than the Kefs.

I did like R500 in the shop, they wouldn't let me have a home demo though. I suspect you are right about R700 not being a good choice for my room.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

Thanks for your reply.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thank you Rick, I'll see if I can demo them. Although I must say with the limited time (small portion of the weekend) this listening marathon is becoming a tiring exercise.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Frankly, with a Devialet in the house, you might regret having sold your LS50s. They now have excellent bass, courtesy of Devialet's SAM protocol. I speak from personal experience.

Perhaps, but no regrets so far. My complaints were, not enough bass and no so good at low volume. Having compared ProAc's and KEF's side by side (may not be a fair comparison but in this instance it's not the point) the choice was very easy. I will miss the huge soundstage produced by little LS50's but this is a compromise I'm willing to accept.

Who knows, if I end up with Devialet and discover that it transforms LS50 sound I buy them again, I didn't loose much on the sale :)

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
I heard the Devialet 170 driving ProAc D30Rs. Quite a nice combo, but I left the demo with mixed feelings -- about the speakers, I should say, not the amp. The ProAcs just weren't right for me. They didn't seem as accurate as others at the price (Audiovector, Dali, Vivid). Having said that, the D30Rs may not be the sweet spot in the range.

I should think the Devialet would drive the ProAcs as well as any amp on the market. It may be overkill for the D18s, but the Devialet could be an amp for life: no matter how far you end up upgrading your speakers in the future, the Devialet will do a great job.

Matt

Thanks for your response Matt. I find a single box solution attractive, although price wise it could be an overkill as you mentioned but if it gives you dac, amp and a streamer may not be that bad.

One thing I'm curious about is, What Hi Fi review mentioned that 120 is not that great at low volumes. Did you have similar observations?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
sa2013 said:
One thing I'm curious about is, What Hi Fi review mentioned that 120 is not that great at low volumes. Did you have similar observations?

I use a 120 with a pair of SAM'ed LS50s. I listen at low volume most of the time, and all sounds very balanced and alive. That may be different with others speakers of course...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
sa2013 said:

I use a 120 with a pair of SAM'ed LS50s. I listen at low volume most of the time, and all sounds very balanced and alive. That may be different with others speakers of course...

I don't have an issue at low volumes either. If this were a problem, then I'd bring the Dev's excellent tone controls into play.

Matt

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
sa2013 said:
Hi Rick,

Hi sa2013

Your welcome.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi sa2013

Thanks for your reply.

If you haven't aleady done so then please contact their Australian distributor Jim Tate Stereo and i am sure they'll be happy to help you as i feel you should find the performance of curved SCM40 monitors to be worth the time and effort.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The SCM40 worth the effort if the OP had the proper amplification and space

for them but he doesn't . IMO the Proac D18 is the best option .

sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

Thanks for your reply.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thank you Rick, I'll see if I can demo them. Although I must say with the limited time (small portion of the weekend) this listening marathon is becoming a tiring exercise.

Hi sa2013

Your welcome.

Btw, also try and listen to curved SCM19 monitors in your room.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ISAC69 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
sa2013 said:
Hi Rick,

Hi sa2013

Your welcome.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi sa2013

Thanks for your reply.

If you haven't aleady done so then please contact their Australian distributor Jim Tate Stereo and i am sure they'll be happy to help you as i feel you should find the performance of curved SCM40 monitors to be worth the time and effort.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The SCM40 worth the effort if the OP had the proper amplification and space

for them but he doesn't . IMO the Proac D18 is the best option .

HI ISAC69

No mention of proper speaker cables *biggrin*

Btw, let me know when you've got proper amplification to drive your speakers
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

sa2013 said:
Hi All,

Seeking some advice... I've recently sold my LS50's as I wasn't satisfied with their lack of bass. I since had ProAc D18's on home demo and was very impressed. When I was returning the D18's I auditioned D28's and thought they sounded even better, the sound being fuller and obviously more bass. However, when I got D28's home it was all a different story. It seems there is no way to tame the bass, it's overpowering and for lack of better word slow. I've been told the culprit is my amp, which is fair enough and I'm going to upgrade it as soon as I can. I also tried Moon i-5 which I borrowed from the dealer but could hear any improvements. I suspect my room isn't ideal either. Perhaps it's too small for D28, it's 4.5 x 3.4 meters but opens into the dining room, the speakers are 50 cm from the back wall and 90 cm from side walls. The listening position is about 2.5 m from the speakers but I also often listen at the dining table which is about 4.5 meters from the speakers. Would appreciate any thoughts, what would be the smallest room you could put these speaker in?

The dealer was kind enough to offer to visit me with the amp I was demoing D28 in the shop - Trigon TRE 50M monoblocks and TRV-100 preamp, that should happen tomorrow. I'll write back then.

Thanks in advance.

Apologies -- what amp do you currently have? Can't find any reference to a brand/make.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
sa2013 said:
Any opinions on D20R?

Didn't hear the D20 it's a new model should be slightly better than the D18 , Can you take it to a home a demo ?

By the way the Proac Studio 140MK2 worth a try too . Very easy speakers to move , excellent deep & balanced bass .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
Didn't hear the D20 it's a new model should be slightly better than the D18 , Can you take it to a home a demo ?

By the way the Proac Studio 140MK2 worth a try too . Very easy speakers to move , excellent balanced bass and

detailed .

"Better" isn't always "preferable" as taste is so individual. I have read of people who prefer the D18s, so a head-to-head is necessary.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Apologies -- what amp do you currently have? Can't find any reference to a brand/make.

Hi plastic penguin,

It's Marantz Pearl Lite amp and CDP. I'm going to replace the amp in the nearest future though with something more appropriate.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
Yes are correct this why a home demo is must ,

Unfortunatelly Studio 140 MKII is not available for home demo and D20R haven't arrived to the shops yet.

I was originally looking at 140 but when I auditioned them at dealer I didn't particularly like the sound. I'm sure it's a fine speaker, must've been either the amp or the room, or both.

I couldn't agree more about home demo. I'm really glad I managed to demo both D18 and D28 as a result I know D28, however good it is, is not for me.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The D18 sound is smoother and reacher than the 140MK2 , However the 140MK2 is more neutral and punchier .

The D18 is a safe bet IMO if you liked it go for it .Once you upgrade your amp the D18 should be stunning .

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
The D18 is a lovely speaker, no doubt about it, but as a matter of interest, what other brands do you have access to?

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Hi Mac,

Apologies, I somehow missed your post. There's lots of brands out there, the problem is home demo is really difficult if not impossible to get. I've auditioned ProAc's, KEF R500, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, PMC 23 and Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grant SE, all at various hi fi shops. I could only get the ProAc's to home demo.

I returned the D28's, had another audition of D18 with trigon energy integrated and musical fidelity m6i, it sounded great with both amps, clear but not bright, with tight, fast bass, so I bought a brand new pair.

Thanks everyone for your advice, this forum is very helpful as always. Will start looking for a new amp to demo at home once the speakers have run in.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
sa2013 said:
Macspur said:
The D18 is a lovely speaker, no doubt about it, but as a matter of interest, what other brands do you have access to?

Mac

Hi Mac,

Apologies, I somehow missed your post. There's lots of brands out there, the problem is home demo is really difficult if not impossible to get. I've auditioned ProAc's, KEF R500, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, PMC 23 and Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grant SE, all at various hi fi shops. I could only get the ProAc's to home demo.

I returned the D28's, had another audition of D18 with trigon energy integrated and musical fidelity m6i, it sounded great with both amps, clear but not bright, with tight, fast bass, so I bought a brand new pair.

Thanks everyone for your advice, this forum is very helpful as always. Will start looking for a new amp to demo at home once the speakers have run in.

No worries.

That's excellent! ProAc is a make I really do like... used to have some Studio 130's, small floor standers and they were the speaker that opened my eyes to how good a top brand of speaker can be. I did home demo the D18 too, but I didn't feel there was enough of an improvement to justify the jump up in cost.

I now look forward to your amplifier journey.

Mac

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
sa2013 said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Hi Mac,

Good decision *drinks*

The D18 might sound to you a bit dry at the beginning don't worry because Proac speakers needs about 500 hours of "running in" period before perform at its best *dance4*

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
They sounded pretty good out of the box but I left them running during the day with volue at 9 o'clock and random playback. When I got back home it was playing "I fall in love easily" Gregory Porter, I couldn't force myself to switch it off, the level of detail and the bass are increadable, and it's with my current amp! Can it be any better?... I guess I'll find out pretty soon, MF M6i is first on my list because I know I can get it for home demo from the same dealer I bought my speakers. And I know it would be an overkill but very curious to try Pass Labs INT 150, he's got it on demo too.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
heard the Proac with the M6i and didn't like it , Maybe it's a personal taste but I think there are much better options for

your D18 .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts