ProAc response D18 or D28?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
sa2013 said:
They sounded pretty good out of the box but I left them running during the day with volue at 9 o'clock and random playback. When I got back home it was playing "I fall in love easily" Gregory Porter, I couldn't force myself to switch it off, the level of detail and the bass are increadable, and it's with my current amp! Can it be any better?... I guess I'll find out pretty soon, MF M6i is first on my list because I know I can get it for home demo from the same dealer I bought my speakers. And I know it would be an overkill but very curious to try Pass Labs INT 150, he's got it on demo too.

If he has it, I think the INT-30A would sound better with the Proacs, being full Class A.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
sa2013 said:
They sounded pretty good out of the box but I left them running during the day with volue at 9 o'clock and random playback. When I got back home it was playing "I fall in love easily" Gregory Porter, I couldn't force myself to switch it off, the level of detail and the bass are increadable, and it's with my current amp! Can it be any better?... I guess I'll find out pretty soon, MF M6i is first on my list because I know I can get it for home demo from the same dealer I bought my speakers. And I know it would be an overkill but very curious to try Pass Labs INT 150, he's got it on demo too.

If he has it, I think the INT-30A would sound better with the Proacs, being full Class A.

Unfortunatelly not, or may be fortunatelly since INT-30A is couple of grand more.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
sa2013 said:
CnoEvil said:
sa2013 said:

Unfortunatelly not, or may be fortunatelly since INT-30A is couple of grand more.

Shame.

Proac + Class A (Valves or SS) has a magic to it.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
sa2013 said:
CnoEvil said:
Shame.

Proac + Class A (Valves or SS) has a magic to it.

Yeah, thanks anyway. I'd be a little scared, what if I liked it? it's way beyond my budget.

Are you sure about the pricing? My understanding was that the 150 and the 30A were the same price. Or is your dealer doing a special offer on the 150?

The INT30A is an outstanding amp, and for me it ranks alongside the similarly specced Class A amps from Musical Fidelity and Accuphase.

Matt

Hi sa2013

I think that you should also consider Naim's Supernait 2/HiCap DR as i've found D18's to pair very well with this combination.. You might be interested to know that Proac partly use Naim electronics to develop their speakers and here over the last few years at shows Proac have used Naim electronics to demonstrate their speakers to good effect
regular_smile.gif

Fwiw, not D18's but i heard a pair of Proac's classic Response 2.5's sounding superb on the end of a Hegel H300
regular_smile.gif
Anyway a H300 is also worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Both amp's mention above are excellent however if the OP can't afford them the Naim Nait XS2 the young brother of the

Naim's Supernait 2 is superb option, heard this amp with the Proac and loved it .

The Hegel H200 is a fine amp too and can be excellent match with the D18 .

IMO the Naim NAIT XS2 and the Hegel H200 will move the D18 at their full potential easily .

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

I think that you should also consider Naim's Supernait 2/HiCap DR as i've found D18's to pair very well with this combination.. You might be interested to know that Proac partly use Naim electronics to develop their speakers and here over the last few years at shows Proac have used Naim electronics to demonstrate their speakers to good effect

Fwiw, not D18's but i heard a pair of Proac's classic Response 2.5's sounding superb on the end of a Hegel H300 Anyway a H300 is also worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thank you Rick.

Hegel could be hard to find for audition but naim shouldnt be a problem. I remember some time ago I spoke to a dealer about naim and he was trying to convince me that I should only use naim cables with their amps, is that the case?

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The INT-150 and INT-30A are effectively the same amp, except the former is biased in Class AB, and the latter in Class A. When bought new, they are the same price.

Here are the thoughts of a reviewer who directly compared the two: http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/pass-labs-int30a-and-int150-integrated-amplifier-review/

Thank you CnoEvil, interesting reading. Just curious, would class D be a no no with ProAc's?

And if we are talking about amps at this level, what's your opinion about BMC CS2?

I'd have to save for a few months if I decide to look in this price range...

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Is Sugden an option?

Could be an option, I know a place that sells them. Although I must say, I'd prefer something not too energy hungry and hot, but ultimately SQ will be the deciding factor.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
sa2013 said:
CnoEvil said:
The INT-150 and INT-30A are effectively the same amp, except the former is biased in Class AB, and the latter in Class A. When bought new, they are the same price.

Here are the thoughts of a reviewer who directly compared the two: http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/pass-labs-int30a-and-int150-integrated-amplifier-review/

Thank you CnoEvil, interesting reading. Just curious, would class D be a no no with ProAc's?

And if we are talking about amps at this level, what's your opinion about BMC CS2?

I'd have to save for a few months if I decide to look in this price range...

Stereophile also did a comparison, but used the power amp version, and found that Class A sounded more euphonic.

As for Class D, I hate to make generalizations, which often turn out to be wrong. The Devialet is a clever AD design, which apparently has a purity of sound that works for most people and most speakers. Bel Canto is another Class D design that sounds well, but haven't heard it with Proac.

Sorry, I have no experience of BMC, though reading this review, it doesn't look like my sort of amp.....with this quote summing it up: "In many ways, my thoughts on the B.M.C. remind me of the classic and controversial audio divide, in that this amp reflects a little more of the analytical head than the seductive heart of musical reproduction."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/bmc-cs2-stereo-amplifier/

Sugden / Proac are a well known match and ideally I would look at the Masterclass IA-4, or even the A21SE.....and only you can decide if it's worth the power/heat tariff.

FWIW. I'm a Class A man through and through and find everything else falls short.....though haven't heard a Devialet.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Stereophile also did a comparison, but used the power amp version, and found that Class A sounded more euphonic.

As for Class D, I hate to make generalizations, which often turn out to be wrong. The Devialet is a clever AD design, which apparently has a purity of sound that works for most people and most speakers. Bel Canto is another Class D design that sounds well, but haven't heard it with Proac.

Sorry, I have no experience of BMC, though reading this review, it doesn't look like my sort of amp.....with this quote summing it up: "In many ways, my thoughts on the B.M.C. remind me of the classic and controversial audio divide, in that this amp reflects a little more of the analytical head than the seductive heart of musical reproduction."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/bmc-cs2-stereo-amplifier/

Sugden / Proac are a well known match and ideally I would look at the Masterclass IA-4, or even the A21SE.....and only you can decide if it's worth the power/heat tariff.

FWIW. I'm a Class A man through and through and find everything else falls short.....though haven't heard a Devialet.

Ok thank you, hoping to start auditioning soon, will see then...

ISAC69 said:
Both amp's mention above are excellent however if the OP can't afford them the Naim Nait XS2 the young brother of the

Naim's Supernait 2 is superb option, heard this amp with the Proac and loved it .

The Hegel H200 is a fine amp too and can be excellent match with the D18 .

IMO the Naim NAIT XS2 and the Hegel H200 will move the D18 at their full potential easily .

Hi ISAC69

I've not heard the H200 but if the H200 is anything like their H80, H300 and H30 then it should also be a cracking amplifier
regular_smile.gif

Btw, have you also heard the SuperNait 2 with a HiCap DR please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

Fwiw, not D18's but i heard a pair of Proac's classic Response 2.5's sounding superb on the end of a Hegel H300 Anyway a H300 is also worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thank you Rick.

Hegel could be hard to find for audition but naim shouldnt be a problem. I remember some time ago I spoke to a dealer about naim and he was trying to convince me that I should only use naim cables with their amps, is that the case?

Hi sa2013

Your welcome.

Please contact Hegel's Australian distributor Advance Audio Australia P/L and i am sure they should be able to help you.

You can (as some do) also use other makes of cables with Naim amplification

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

Your welcome.

Please contact Hegel's Australian distributor Advance Audio Australia P/L and i am sure they should be able to help you.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that. I've emailed them, no reply as yet. May give them a call this afternoon.

What's the RRP for H300 in UK? I couldn't find any references to price in Aus.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Any experiences with Accuphase E-600? my dealer has some lower model on display, can't remember which one it was.

I think I'm going to get into Cno's good books for this question.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

Your welcome.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Well, I'm not having much luck with Advance Audio. I called them and they gave me some other number, which was for another distributor I was told. I called that other number and was told they don't have any retailers who stock Hegel in Melbourne, the only place they know about is in Sydney. They said I should call their sales rep and gave me a mobile number. I called the mobile and the guy who took the call sounded like I woke him up (4pm local time), he said he couldn't talk and hung up on me.

I called a store in Sydney which seems to be the only one that sells Hegel in Australia (they don't publish prices on their website), they are selling H300 for $7,100 AUD which seems a little excessive to me since US RRP is $5,500 USD.

So yeah, this brand doesn't seem to be very popular here unfortunately.

sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

Your welcome.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Well, I'm not having much luck with Advance Audio. I called them and they gave me some other number, which was for another distributor I was told. I called that other number and was told they don't have any retailers who stock Hegel in Melbourne, the only place they know about is in Sydney. They said I should call their sales rep and gave me a mobile number. I called the mobile and the guy who took the call sounded like I woke him up (4pm local time), he said he couldn't talk and hung up on me.

I called a store in Sydney which seems to be the only one that sells Hegel in Australia (they don't publish prices on their website), they are selling H300 for $7,100 AUD which seems a little excessive to me since US RRP is $5,500 USD.

So yeah, this brand doesn't seem to be very popular here unfortunately.

Hi sa2013

Advance Audio look to be a significant distributor who from what i understand are just setting up with Hegel. I'd give them another call to see if they can help you as the H300 is a cracking amplifer and one with an excellent on board DAC too. Using the H300 as an amp and with its internal DAC too with tracks such as the Trentemoller Mix of Bruce Springsteen's State Trooper is the finest overall performance i've heard from Proac's Response 2.5 speakers
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts