Pro Logic II or DTS:Neo 6

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone, Long time since i posted a thread, i would like to know what sounds better Pro Logic II or DTS:Neo 6 for movies and music, I have a Yamaha RXV3067 amp, my local AV store told me that Pro Logic II is used more for older films and that DTS:Neo 6 is more for the newer films. Is this true? Look forward to hearing your replies

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Haleem123,

As you have a BD player if it were me i would be using the HD audio formats available as the amp does Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio assuming you are playing Blu-rays of course, or if playing Dvd's then DD or DTS. Watching normal TV i use DTS Neo 6 unless the channel is outputting a Dolby Digital sound track & the amp switches automatically, but that is just personal choice.

As far as music goes i would play around with the sound options & see what you like to listen to best, of all the formats the amp options give you.

Regards ...

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
GSB said:
I like what pro logic does to stereo and DD broadcasts :)

@ GSB For me i can agree with you with stereo, depending on what is being broadcast.

I would not want to downgrade a DD 5.1 broadcast to Prologic I, i would consider Prologic IIx & Prologic IIz as they can make the sound source 7.1 & 9.1 but neither are HD format. Other than possibly creating a more cohesive sound field i do not see where the advantage would lie in the overall quality of sound by adding further processing

Regards ..

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
i dont think my amp switches automatically tho as when i check it is always Pro Logic II, the sound is brill still on Pro Logic II but after what the local AV guy said to me it got me thinking, or do you guys play the blurays via PURE DIRECT?

Many thanks for replys much apreciated

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Unless its HD Audio i almost always listen useing the sci-fi dsp mode...for me it adds great depth,and seperates the chanels in a way that widen's the front sound stage...compared to DD5.1,but everyone has there own preference:)(took me months to find mine)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Haleem123 said:
i dont think my amp switches automatically tho as when i check it is always Pro Logic II, the sound is brill still on Pro Logic II but after what the local AV guy said to me it got me thinking, or do you guys play the blurays via PURE DIRECT?

Haleem press the straight button on the remote when playing blu rays,if you have the signal sent via bitstream from your player,then the avr will decode HD Audio.

Just watched a film(sky movies) in DD5.1,left the dsp off....and it was better :oops:

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Maybe it depends as to what movie you watch as to how good their sound is ? (sounds reasonable to me?)

A good few TV movies do sound great using a sci-fi dsp setting I've found as well.

Can I just say that I only have an Onkyo 508 and tp be fair it does sound fine but I was just wondering if anyone ever gets what sounds like sound drop-outs ? I seem to be getting em every tweny minutes no matter the sourse used ?

Has me a tad worried tbh , do I need to ask Richer Sounds to change it at all ?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I only ever get dropouts thru sky tv...so it is signal related.

Have you checked your connections...maybe time for a clean....?

Hopefully this will sort it?!

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Thx for answer and info GSB but no, all of my connectors/wires are all new and I'm with Virgin Media..... though as I said it doesn't matter what I connect with... I get a sound drop-out like every twenty mins... annoyed :(

Oh, the only thing I remember from when I bought the amp from Richer's was that it was in fact a reconditioned unit which they assured me was fine ?

No idea as to what was wrong in the first place with the 508 (mistake not asking((sigh)) I know) but they swapped over my origional 308 with no monies changing hands.

Do other amps have drop-outs in sound then... from all inputs I mean ?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm affraid not,as i say i get the occasional drop out watching sky,but it is defanatly the signal from the saterlite.Blu ray or ps3 has never droped out.

Have you tried swoping the hdmi imput for your virgin(like the sound of that :grin: )it may be that that port is knackered?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Thx for answer and info GSB but no, all of my connectors/wires are all new and I'm with Virgin Media..... though as I said it doesn't matter what I connect with... I get a sound drop-out like every twenty mins... annoyed :(

Oh, the only thing I remember from when I bought the amp from Richer's was that it was in fact a reconditioned unit which they assured me was fine ?

No idea as to what was wrong in the first place with the 508 (mistake not asking((sigh)) I know) but they swapped over my origional 308 with no monies changing hands.

Do other amps have drop-outs in sound then... from all inputs I mean ?

Sorry I cant help you either, I too have Virgin & dont suffer drop outs on audio. Sounds to me like it is your AV amp. Maybe time to get a new one?

Haleem123 said:

I have a Yamaha amp, it is three models down from yours, a 767, it switches automatically when watching Blu-rays & from my Virgin Tivo box

My BD player is set to send bitstream out & as soon as it starts to play it switches the amp on to Blu-ray & displays whatever the audio thats being output out from the player. Eg in bitstream mode the amp displays DTS-HDMA (or whatever format the audio is encoded as) on the display without the need to switch it to pure direct. So on that basis i think yours may not be set up properly.

Regards ..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts