Pro-ject Genie Mk2 Turntable - Worth upgrading the factory fitted cartridge?

mattatnotts

Jun 21, 2007
Visit site
I've just got hold of the new pro-ject genie Mk2 turntable, which has replaced an old Pioneer PL-12D I had fitted with an AT-95E cartridge. The Genie, although looks lovely, hasn't offered much of a sound improvement and if anything sounds a little 'muddier'. I wasn't expecting a massive difference, but hoped for at least 'as good as'.

Would the Genie benefit from a cartridge upgrade from the standard fitted OM3? Or should I stick my (reasonably new) AT-95 on there?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes put the AT-95 on it and give it a whirl. You can't lose.

If that doesn't do the trick then go for an Ortofon 2M Red for £60 - £65.

That WILL be an upgrade, no doubts here on that score :)

A

Anonymous

To be honest, the Pioneer is a better player on all levels. I love that deck and always will - its one of two record players which are just spot on good. The other is the Technics SL1200/1210 with a Rega RB300.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
mattatnotts:
I've just got hold of the new pro-ject genie Mk2 turntable

Matt, how do you rate the Project build wise? It looks somewhat flimsy to me..

I'm considering buying one, but the build quality is a concern for me.

Also, how do you rate the quality of the arm? Is it a lot better than your old Pioneer? (I'm referring to play in the bearings etc..)

I remember some years back being tempted by a turntable (brand name escapes me) and when I examined it in the shop, there was visible play in the arm bearings and the platter could have been used as a see-saw it rocked so much.
emotion-3.gif

Thanks,

Tony.

mattatnotts

Jun 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll probably give the AT95 a go when I get chance.

As for build quality, I don't have any experience of more expensive kit to compare it to, but for the money, I think the Genie is pretty good. Sure the housing for the motor and the arm are 2 blocks of cheap looking plastic, but they do their job. The platter is nice and solid and I couldn't feel any play at all (although I wasn't trying too hard!). The arm feels nice and solid, although rather lightweight.

Looks-wise it has had plenty of praise from my non-hi-fi family and friends, it does look nice. Unless you've got money to burn and can afford a much more expensive deck then I think you'll be pleased with the Genie. Being at the low end of Hi-Fi in terms of budget, I'm happy with it. Just not sure that the factory fitted cartridge does it justice. I'm not so keen on the felt mat that comes with it either. Maybe the achromat (http://www.needles-and-spins.co.uk/pd_the_funk.cfm) would be a nice visual and sound upgrade?

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts