Pro Ject Essential II - Phono issues

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

Does anyone have experience using a Pro Ject Essential II turntable? I have just purchased one and have connected it to my hifi (an Aiwa Z-HT454) using the phono cables provided. No sound is coming out of the speakers; I am still able to play CDs as well as get sound out of the old turntable through the same phono input. Is there anything I can do or should I return it to the seller?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have not been able to find out anything about an Aiwa Z-HT454 on the internet. Are you absolutely it has a phono-level input? The giveaway is that it will have a binding-post close by for the turntable's ground-cable. It's possible the turntable you were previously using has a built-in pre-amp. What model is it?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I have not been able to find out anything about an Aiwa Z-HT454 on the internet. Are you absolutely it has a phono-level input? The giveaway is that it will have a binding-post close by for the turntable's ground-cable. It's possible the turntable you were previously using has a built-in pre-amp. What model is it?

I drew a blank on the internet but wondered if there aren't any phono sockets on the amp...it's the only thing I could think of.

scene

The OP's old turntable works with the amp - what is the old TT?

Either the old TT has a built in phono amp (which is fairly unusual) or it is a mismatch MC/MM type issue. Or the Project turntable is broken.

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all - it turned out the old turntable had an in-built pre-arm.

Having said that, I've now had another issue with the turntable. It constantly emits a low hum when plugged into the stereo via the preamp. When it plays records it isn't particularly noticable unless the song in question is fairly quiet (something by Belle & Sebastian for esample). Looking online a number of websites say the hum is inevitable - is that the case? I never used to have anything similar with the old TT that had the built-in preamp....

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Do you have the ground wire connected from TT to amp?

I have the Project Xpression III and it produces an audible hum if ground wire is not connected to amp.

Project often supply a set of phono leads that include a ground wire with spade connectors, otherwise can be bought quite cheaply.

I

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Yep - the ground wire is attached to the x2 phono leads that come out of the turntable. I have it clamped to a Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, which screws in with a metal bolt.

If I remove the ground wire it produces a louder hum, but it is still present if the bolt is screwed in tight. Also if I squeeze the phono wire coming out of the turntable ir provides brief alterations in humming sound.

Joe

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Joe
Phono cartridges output a very low level signal; that's the reason you needed the pre-amp. A consequence of this is that they can be prone to picking up radio interference, sometimes even enough to actually give a radio programme through the speakers! Even when it's not this bad, household items like fridges and microwave ovens can emit noise which the turntable and cables pick up. Have you tried moving the TT to see if something is having this effect? If it's a hum it could be something as apparently harmless as a lamp. Putting your hand on the cable could be providing a screen from the RF field.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts