Pro-ject Debut III disappointment

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm shortly going to put my Pro-ject III on ebay because; frankly, my sample is scarcely HiFi.

I've tried it with three different cartridges, but none has affected the high level of background noise which I can only assume is the motor, since the Pro-ject's replacement, a P2, has none of the problems with the same stand and cartridge.

I'd never recommend this turntable to anyone, yet it continues to get good reviews. There are similar comments on other forums, so is this a quality control issue, and have I just been unlucky?

I'm surprised to hear it. I have the Xpression 1 and for the money it's superb - are you sure you have it set up correctly? The problem is with TT's, although reletively simple to have running, if you're not spot-on in a tiny area, (the arm not balanced right, the platter not flush) it will result in less than satifactory sound.

A

Anonymous

Well, that was my first thought.

I set it up according to the instructions (it's the model with the Ortofon OM cartridge supplied) and then checked using the alignment tools you can get from vinylengine. Checked for level etc - all fine. I'm taking it into my local dealer to have it set up once more before it goes on sale, but it sounds like motor noise to me.

The P2, which uses the same design philosophy and with the same cartridge which I installed, is silent.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:I'm surprised to hear it. I have the Xpression 1 and for the money it's superb - are you sure you have it set up correctly? The problem is with TT's, although reletively simple to have running, if you're not spot-on in a tiny area, (the arm not balanced right, the platter not flush) it will result in less than satifactory sound.

I think Tarquin is saying he already has the Rega P2 so I guess suggestions/advice are a bit academic now.

Tarquin, despite your satisfaction with the new Rega, it is still worth experimenting with setting the anti-skate/bias slider on the P2 to a much lower value than the corresponding tracking force. (I would suggest an anti-skate setting of about half of the tracking force value as a good starting point.) The Rega RB250 arm is well known for having an overly 'agressive' anti-skate mechanism.

It will repay you to be just a little obsessive over ensuring the turntable support is dead level and well away from your speakers and not on top of large hollow/resonant furniture like cupboards/sideboards or whatever.

The setting of the tracking force with the Rega P2 counterweight is a bit rough 'n ready (95 percent accurate assuming the arm was balanced correctly) so I strongly advise acquiring a tracking force gauge like the Shure SFG-2 or similar. Even a cheap cartridge will sing when the little details are spot-on as Plastic Penguin has already observed.

Can't help you with the Project gear. Never owned any.

Good luck with your P2.

manicm

Tarquinh:

I'm shortly going to put my Pro-ject III on ebay because; frankly, my sample is scarcely HiFi.

I've tried it with three different cartridges, but none has affected the high level of background noise which I can only assume is the motor, since the Pro-ject's replacement, a P2, has none of the problems with the same stand and cartridge.

I'd never recommend this turntable to anyone, yet it continues to get good reviews. There are similar comments on other forums, so is this a quality control issue, and have I just been unlucky?

I might be totally off the mark here, but is your TT earthed? It might have to be...

A

Anonymous

I bought a Debut III a couple of years ago from Superfi and had the same problem. Have had many turntables over the years and this was 1st time I had heard any noise like this.

Rang Superfi and they told me that some models were faulty - problem with earthing apparently. They exchanged for an Xpression II and have had no problems at all. Cost me an extra £100 but worth every penny.

Need a new stylus shortly but in light of comments on other threads I might go for the Ortofon 2M Red

A

Anonymous

manicm,

Yes, it is earthed. It's totally quiet until the needle touches the record;

Chebby,

Thanks for the info. I''m very happy with the sound, but will make the adjustments you suggest. Do you know if the digital gauges you can buy off the internet any good?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:Chebby,
Thanks for the info. I''m very happy with the sound, but will make the adjustments you suggest. Do you know if the digital gauges you can buy off the internet any good?

No experience with them. My trusty Shure SFG-2 is accurate enough for my needs. It costs around £25 brand new.

Project make an electronic one...

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=measureit&cat=accessories&lang=en

Looks like a pretty generic model. Electronic tracking force gauges range in price up to hundreds of pounds.

This is probably accurate enough and only £7.50...

ortofontforce.jpg

jacktrack

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
All I can say is sorry to hear about all the problems with the pro ject debut iii I picked one up on eBay I upgraded the s++t out of it speed box moo mat and plater and needle am happy with it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts