Pro-ject Debut Grounding Issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

I have just unpackaged my new Pro-ject Debut MK III SB turntable and set it all up fine. My only problem is that I am trying to temporarily hook it up to my active speakers (Behringer MS16s) until i can afford a proper speaker/amp set up, and my speakers do not have a point to which I can hook up the grouding cable from the turntable to.

Am I OK leaving the grounding cable unconnected to anything or am I going to get zapped everytime I touch anything?

Would it be better to buy a mixer so I can ground it to that and then hook it up to my speakers?

Any help would be great, bear in mind I am not the most fluent in technical lingo so feel free to dumb it down!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
lol no you won't get zapped by it but you might get a buzzing sound from your speakers, in which case you'll need to work out a cunning botch to connect the grounding wire to the outer (ground) terminal of the phono-inputs on your speaker.

A

Anonymous

Just tried it and you were right I didn't get zapped! Doesn't seem to be any humming so will probs leave it as it is for now, if not will have to get botching! Thanks for the help!

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the forum.

Just to second what MF says (we must have both had to do the same bodge!). Assuming your earth lead has a spade terminal it may be trickier to attach to the phono plug outer, so you may need to snip it off and use the bare wires, twisted.

But try it first without, keeping the volume low until you know how sensitive the combination is. If you get no loud hum (which is why you need it) you'll be OK, but avoid touching the exposed end while turned up, or the noise may blast your ears and/or speakers.

sumit.india

May 22, 2012
Visit site
People...can you give me some idea?

Rega RP1 - Does have a ground point or not? In the rear panel....

Project Debut III - Does have a ground point or not? In the rear panel ......

I am going to buy .... either Rega RP1 or Pro-ject Debut III ..... Already have CA551P as phono pre amp and it is having the ground point in its rear panel.....

Please give me the info...

sumit.india said:
But NOPIANO ....Rega RP1 is not having any decated ground pin in the rear panel....

Waht about Pro-ject Dubut III .... any idea??

If it does not have one then it will work fine without. If it does, then use it. The fact your amp has a provision to earth a TT simply means it will work either way, not that you must have a dedicated earting point on the TT.

It is not reason to vary your decision to purchase. Your Coke might come in a can or a bottle, but it is still Coke!

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Give that man a piano.
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS