Primare Amp cutting out

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone help?

I have Primare CD31 connected to the Primare I30 Amp via Nordost Blue Heaven XLR connects, my speakers are Triangle Antal Esw's using XT400 cables and the components are in Atacama Equinox rack with plenty of space.

Normal listening is showing around 30-40 on the amp volume (max 79) which although appears a little high to me in the range, does sound fantastic: However, if I feel the need for a bit of indulgent loud music anything past 60 instantly muffles the sound to protect the amp overheating, similarily if I play tracks at a volume of around 55, then the sound cuts out (muffles) after 3 or 4 tracks. turning the sound down lets the pure sound return.

It's about £4500 of kit which you can't play loud seems mad! all the kit is 5 star rated award winners etc so what am I doing wrong? Sevenoaks suggested buying a pre-amp which seems like just throwing money at it.

is it something to do with 4 or 8 Ohm and if so how do I change the setting?

Any advice greatly appreciated - Thanks

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
How big is your room Shaggydog? Could it be that the speakers are a little insensitive and the room is too large?

Also, is it quite warm in your room? It sounds like the thermal protection is cutting in...have you tried (as an experiment, not a general listening tool) having a small desk fan blow cool air over them to see what happens?

A

Anonymous

The room is 5m x 7m and double height, wood floors, no great lumps of soft sofas etc

I've not tried a desk fan but you're right I think it is the thermal protection cutting in. is it normal for a £1500 amp to be getting that hot that quick? putting a £3.99 fan to cool it down seems very wrong somehow..

A

Anonymous

Sorry, should also have said that the Triangle Speakers are florstanders rated at 120W with 91dB sensitivity - about a grand for the pair - I know price does not mean quality, or that they are not as pricey as some, but I think they are decent enough kit to go with the Primare amp.

A

Anonymous

I have just looked up the specs for those speakers and quite frankly i'm amazed that your amp is struggling to drive the floorstanders.

They are rated at 91db and 8ohms which is a recipe for some disturbing volume levels with your amp delivering 100 watts per speaker.

If you are concerned about the amp's volume level, i would contact Primare for advice, because those speakers are far from difficult to drive.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="shaggydog"]is it normal for a £1500 amp to be getting that hot that quick?[/quote]

I would say not - if the fan does the trick, then I reckon it's time to call Primare in - as the previous poster said, those speakers should be capable of indecent sound pressure levels with the Primare driving them...

A

Anonymous

Guess I'm calling Primare then...

Thanks to you and ken71, cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts