Price cut on Pioneer 428XD worth spending over new models

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I am looking for a second TV to put in the attic for kids for gaming and movies and mostly SD channels, the recent price cuts on pioneer 428xd due to introduction of HD version brings it at same price level of Sony Samsung 40F86 and Sony 40X3500.

My question is it worth buy over the models mentioned above, am I future proof with hdmi 1.3 and 24fps does this pioneer models handles HD/Blue-Ray disc, gaming via xbox and PS3 well.

In your issue of new technologies 2008 you recomended Samsung LE46F86 specifically for gaming !

Appreciate your quick response before the pioneer sells-out or is it worth waiting till spring for new sets from philips, panasonic and samsung.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
As an all rounder, the Pioneer beats everything else out there. The Sony 40X3500 is the only thing that comes close but can't match the Pioneer's ability with SD sources. I own a 4280XD and I can assure you that it's an incredible performer with HD material. I have it hooked up to a PS3 and a Toshiba HD EP30 along with Sky+. It performs brilliantly across the board. I've had gaming sessions up to three hours long without the merest hint of retention. Blu Rays and HD DVDs both look excellent and jump off the screen. For anyone looking for a tv right now, I would recommend the Pioneer without hesitation. However, if you're looking for a tv set purely for gaming then do consider one of the LCDs. All the sets you mention are about as future-proof as you can get right now. One question. What makes you think the Pioneer is going to sell out or be discontinued any time soon?

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your valuable feedback, the reason I mentioned price cut was due to the introduction of HD models, I am sure Pioneer will not be making any of these HD-ready anymore.

One more question I've confirmed it has 24fp but not sure if it suppport hdmi version 1.3 and if not is it important. My concern choosing it over LCD is the burnout issue my friends has been telling me that with cosistent hours of gaming it may give problems with burn-out or ghosting.

What do you recommend is it good for gaming and as a monitor for PC which I will be hooking up too for playing online media.

Any opinions from excellent WHFSV team?

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Yes it has HDMI 1.3. I think it's great for gaming but I think if you're looking for a tv to double as a computer monitor, then I would definitely consider an LCD. The Pioneer is without question the best tv out there when viewed from a sensible viewing distance but when using it as a monitor you may be sat closer and the pixel structure may bother you. The only LCDs I would consider are the Sony Bravia W300 or the X3500 if you can stretch to it.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
The 428XD is a great TV for watching TV and movies, but if you're mostly looking for a PC display or for gaming then I'd also go the higher resolution LCD path.

Just one question - where did you hear that there's a Full HD version of the 428XD coming out? I've seen nothing about that.

A

Anonymous

I'm in the hunt for my first plasma (sadly my excellent Panny 100mhz CRT set is about to give up) and have been trawling the high street. There are 2 new Pioneers out there at the minute that are FULL HD. A 50" PDP-LX5080D and the bigger 60" PDP-LX6080D. Got to say the 60" blew my mind but was quoted £5000 plus, although the 50" wasn't that bad either, this was quoted at £2800. What I think this has mean't is the 428XD and 508XD have come right down in price but still look amazing. Not sure if its worth waiting for the new Panasonics though ??? Anybody any news on these ???

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
The feedback on the new Panasonics has been very good so far. A few people have got their hands on the 42PZ85 and seem very happy with it, saying that it compares very well with the Kuros. No word yet on the 46 or 50 inch models. The Pioneers are amazing but I wouldn't buy until I could do a proper side by side comparison.

A

Anonymous

Yep this seems the case and worth waiting for as the one thing that bugs me about the 4280 is the lack of shadow details and the only way without calibration (which can only be done on the 428XD) to get rid of it was to make the blacks less black.

The PX80 looks pretty good to my eyes as well and at less than £750 now seems a bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts