Upgrade to AV Receiver and 5.1 Speakers assistance

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Relative new user to posting on the forums, although have used them here before when researching prior upgrades (when purchasing HDTV) and found the information and posts available to be very helpful.

Now hoping for some guidance with upgrade to an AV receiver and associated speakers.

At present I have a PS3, XBOX360, HD Cable TV and 1080p LCD. These currently run through an old Pioneer stacking system with 2 x surround sound rear speakers. Although this system is 20 years old, imo the sound quality is cracking with great clarity, volume and depth received (all speakers are 3-way 150W) however I am wishing to upgrade to an AV receiver to get the best from the 5.1 on offer and as a consequence will wish to replace the speaker package also (although maybe not straight away). It will be used for Blu-ray, gaming and crucially listening to music is a very important priority. This will mainly be electronic music so bass and volume is a concern with speakers. I don’t do ipods or downloads either. Will be looking to connect a turntable also.

I have been looking at either the Pioneer VSX-920 (available for £349) or the Onkyo TX-NR808 (available for £679 ex display or £699 new). Although I have been recommended the Denon AVR-2311 (for £449). I have simply leant towards these first two models from the 5* reviews on this site but am open to suggestions. Network and Internet Radio would be nice feature to incorporate but not a necessity. Am thinking minimum 7.1 and 3D compatible in attempt to future proof a little as I'm not looking to repeat the process for another 20 years hopefully

Regards to the speakers, initially I was looking at the Monitor Audio BX2’s. I’ve had a listen to these and whilst I think they would be more than adequate for 5.1 I felt they lacked depth for music (at least compared to the standard of my existing setup) so am perhaps leaning towards the BX5’s for the front with BX2 or the BXFX (di-poles) for the rear. Again just picked these packages from here due to the super reviews. The other option I may lean towards would be the B+W 685s (although not heard these as yet).

I am welcome of suggestions for different Receivers and Speakers. Depending on which AVR I decide upon price wise, I may need to sort the speakers over the coming months keeping my existing Pioneers in place with the new receiver. At present I have £800 available and unsure whether to dedicate all this to the receiver now and come back for the speakers or pick up the Pioneer (or other) and the BX5s (or alternateive) and sort the remaining speakers over the next month or so.

What I would like clarification with if possible is:

Is the Onkyo worth spending the extra money on over the Pioneer?
Or ditch both the above - recommendations for other receivers or speakers?

Any further information required to assist with decision, please do not hesitate to ask.

As I say, listening to music is of great importance, just want to catch up on 5.1 for blu-ray and games without sacrificing quality of listening to music. Hope the above isn't too waffely and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rich

A

Anonymous

Hi Rich,

If you like the sound of Monitor Audio I doubt you will like the way B&W 685s sound. You may also try the Dynaudio Excite X12's which IMO are quite similar to the Monitor Audio RX1's in the midrange.

If you really like Monitor Audio speakers you may also want to read previous posts and comments from Rick (MUSICRAFT) who has vast knowledge on these speakers and the best matching amps.

To get the most out from your speakers I would recommend a dedicated stereo amp for the front speakers though.

Cheers.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
PHOKU said:
I have been looking at either the Pioneer VSX-920 (available for £349) or the Onkyo TX-NR808 (available for £679 ex display or £699 new). Although I have been recommended the Denon AVR-2311 (for £449). I have simply leant towards these first two models from the 5* reviews on this site but am open to suggestions. Network and Internet Radio would be nice feature to incorporate but not a necessity. Am thinking minimum 7.1 and 3D compatible in attempt to future proof a little as I'm not looking to repeat the process for another 20 years hopefully.

The Denon AVR-2311 can be had for just less than £400 if you have a shop around. If you are willing to shell out that much for the Onkyo TX-NR808 i would also throw the Yamaha RXV1067 in to the mix which is now a shade under £600.

This years / seasons newest Onkyo A/V Amp TXNR609 is just under £500 & now available. Which ever amp you decide on, i would demo it with your speakers first before buying your speakers.

PHOKU said:
I have been looking at either the Pioneer VSX-920 (available for £349) or the Onkyo TX-NR808 (available for £679 ex display or £699 new). Although I have been recommended the Denon AVR-2311 (for £449). I have simply leant towards these first two models from the 5* reviews on this site but am open to suggestions.

Don't go by just the star ratings of reviews. System matching is much more important. The receiver has to be compatible with the speakers you choose. What kind of sound do you prefer? Bright or warm or neutral? In general, people tend to match a bright receiver with warm speakers or vice versa, for a more balanced sound. But some may prefer their system to be slightly bright or warm sounding. The only way to know which category you're in, is by auditioning a few combinations.

Regards to the speakers, initially I was looking at the Monitor Audio BX2’s. I’ve had a listen to these and whilst I think they would be more than adequate for 5.1 I felt they lacked depth for music (at least compared to the standard of my existing setup) so am perhaps leaning towards the BX5’s for the front with BX2 or the BXFX (di-poles) for the rear. Again just picked these packages from here due to the super reviews. The other option I may lean towards would be the B+W 685s (although not heard these as yet).

B&W 685s are superb. But you must audition them to decide if they're for you. They certainly will perform better with music than the MA BX5's.

I am welcome of suggestions for different Receivers and Speakers. Depending on which AVR I decide upon price wise, I may need to sort the speakers over the coming months keeping my existing Pioneers in place with the new receiver. At present I have £800 available and unsure whether to dedicate all this to the receiver now and come back for the speakers or pick up the Pioneer (or other) and the BX5s (or alternateive) and sort the remaining speakers over the next month or so.

You need to decide how to play with your budget. Either to go for an entire system for £800 or buy them in stages. For a long term, buying in stages will be more rewarding. I'm not familiar with your speakers, so can't comment on whether you can expect any improvement with a £800 AV receiver connected to your existing speakers or not.

Look to spend 40% on the receiver & 60% on speakers.

Is the Onkyo worth spending the extra money on over the Pioneer?

Whether a £699 receiver sounds better than the £349 ones depends on the speakers you choose. They should be capable enough to bring out the difference.

A

Anonymous

hi,

thanks all for the replies.

so far i've only listened to the BX2s and BR5s in stereo, but would say either would meet my expectations for a 5.1 set-up but for music, the BX2 (as fronts) didn't have enough ownership of the music that i'm used to. i'm planning to go back on tuesday for another demo with the pioneer receiver (which has just come back in stock as i listened previously on a completely different amp Marantz i think), BX5's (front) and BX2s or BXFX in full set-up to check out how that compares (with both a blu-ray and music) i think they do have the B+W 685s so might give them a spin also if possible.

not heard of Dynaudio Excite X12's but will look into and see if can hear anywhere local. regards to dedicated stereo amp, i'm sure thats the ideal way to complete my music requirements, but hopefully trying to sort music and 5.1 setup in one package. hence the confusion as whether to dedicate all funds for now to a better quality receiver and sort speakers later.

i'll have a look for both the yamaha and newer onkyo when i go also (although not read reviews on either as yet) thanks.

my sound requirement terminolgy is not on par with yourselves but after system with clarify, denition and punch. my current setup can dominate and take ownership of the source which i really enjoy. i definately think i need to audition further options. i do wish the decision process was easier, just pick receiver A with speakers B for desired outcome C.

having a browse of ebay recently, such things as pair MA Silver 8i's for £270, pair Bronze B6 for £102 or pair BR5s unsold for £100 i'm tempted to throw more for a new receiver now and pick up a higher quality of speakers pre-owned cheaper off the net (than i could afford new).

any thoughts either way?

thanks again,

rich

A

Anonymous

so...i purchased the Pioneer VSX920, 2 x MA BX5s and 2 x BX-FX about a week ago and am still trying to warm to the new sound. messing about with the settings and cable setup to optimise only appears to get me so far.

unsure whether to carry on complete the remaining (2 x BX2s, centre and sub) bite the bullet and ride it out if grows on me further or so see if i can change to different set.

new sound is very 'bright' imo, stuggles to play music to 'the full range' as if very top heavy and if do try adjusting the bass is just rumbley no thud (if that makes sense) - classical and jazz sound bright and pleasant but rock / dance music is just a nothing sound.

any assistance would be very welcome re amending settings, to continue with this setup or change speakers / avr.

thanks.

A

Anonymous

MA speakers tend to match well with Yamaha AVRs ( as they have a warmer sound) as pointed out by BB earlier.

Try using the pioneer X-Curve feature which trims the treble back a little, that might help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts