Question preamplifier after preamplifier?

Flemmingss

Jan 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi.

I have a preamplifier and a poweramplifier I am very satisfied with.
The preamplifier is connected to the poweramplifier and the powerampfiler is connected to speakers,
The connection between the pre- and power-amplifiler is also spited to two active subwoofers.

However, I miss the option to control my sub-woofers volume relative to the speaker volume.
My pre don't have any settings for tuning this, just volume +/-

Can I connect a Second pre-amp with independent volume before the sub-woofers? will this cause any damage or problems?
It might be easier to understand this drawing:
1642446267718.png
Pre #1: pro-ject pre box s2 digital
Pre #2: AIYIMA Tube Pre

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Instead of another preamp, you could use an active filter between the pre and power amp/sub. This would provide the option of altering gain(volume) as well as crossover settings for subs and mains. I use a Behringer CX2310 and it’s a brilliant piece of kit for under £100.

If you really need two subwoofers you have the wrong speakers.

Not so. For eg. here is a dedicated two channel system supported by dual JL Audio Fathom f112 v2’s. There is seamless integration between the KEF Reference 3 speakers and the Fathom f112 v2's and just as importantly the potential of the subs is not being wasted as the Reference 3's are unburdened of frequencies up to 90Hz. The Fathom f112 v2’s do a much better job than the Reference 3's in this region.

jl audio fathom dual f112 v2 kef ref 3 1.jpg

Not so. For eg. here is a dedicated two channel system supported by dual JL Audio Fathom f112 v2’s. There is seamless integration between the KEF Reference 3 speakers and the Fathom f112 v2's and just as importantly the potential of the subs is not being wasted as the Reference 3's are unburdened of frequencies up to 90Hz. The Fathom f112 v2’s do a much better job than the Reference 3's in this region.

View attachment 3140
I fail to see the economic sense of unburdening a speaker that is designed to go way below 90Hz and then replace it with not one but two subwoofers that, more likely than not are going to give you no benefit unless you happen to live in a barn.
And neither do I see the sense in having two subwoofers when all they are producing is those low frequencies which are not directional, that's one overly complicated set up .
More money than sense of you ask me.
It may be worth doing if you happen to be an Arabian oil sheik but in your average British household???
looking at that set up you'd be better off spending the money on room treatment, in my humble opinion only, you understand.....
Flog all the speakers and get in a pair of Wilson Audio or Martens and that would do me. :)

(which takes some time to do properly I believe)

Indeed it does. To ensure there is seamless integration between the sub, satellites and their environment there has to be effective alignment, calibration and dialling in. As long as sub is capable playing cleanly at frequencies of 80Hz and above and done correctly then the sub/s will optimally support the system and consistently disappear into the soundstage. And now devoid of lag, bloom, bloat, boom or blur you’re instead presented with sub bass which is launched instantly, high speed, sharply focused, powerful and snappy.

A subwoofer is the most important component :)

gasolin

Way too overly complicated. If you need subwoofers of any number then buy an AV amplifier.
If you really need two subwoofers you have the wrong speakers.
Either that or get a proper 2.1 integrated amplifier

Not at all, 2 subs, 2 subs play louder than one and it will equally out different bass frequencys

Always get min2 subs if you have the space and can afford it

gasolin

Indeed it does. To ensure there is seamless integration between the sub, satellites and their environment there has to be effective alignment, calibration and dialling in. As long as sub is capable playing cleanly at frequencies of 80Hz and above and done correctly then the sub/s will optimally support the system and consistently disappear into the soundstage. And now devoid of lag, bloom, bloat, boom or blur you’re instead presented with sub bass which is launched instantly, high speed, sharply focused, powerful and snappy.

A subwoofer is the most important component :)

Come on

Do you really think a pair oif kef reference 3 can play good bass under 70-80 hz ? Ratyed at 43Hz - 35kHz (±3dB)

We all know that in many cases a flat frequency responce can sound borring even when most records are not neutral recorded

2022-01-24 02_22_03-SoundStageNetwork.com _ SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements_ KEF Reference 3...png

Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 rated frequency responce 17Hz–28kHz, ±3dB

Does that seem 17Hz–28kHz, ±3dB to you ?

-5 db at 30m hz ? - 7-8 db at 30 hz ? What do you think ?

616BW802fig3.jpg

If they are both powered similarly and have the same settings you get twice the volume? Interesting.
so if I double up on my main speakers I will get twice the volume?
Does this only work with powered subs?
You can tell my experience with subwoofers is limited can't you?

Last edited:

gasolin

If they are both powered similarly and have the same settings you get twice the volume? Interesting.
Does this only work with powered subs?
You can tell my experience with subwoofers is limited can't you?

How the hell can you not know that, it's basic hifi knowledge

Same with speakers

If each speaker are playing the same spl, double the amount of speakers that play the same volume will increase the spl

if more sub won't increase the spl,why do big live concerts have something like 10 huge subs on both side of the stage (or under or above) if adding more subs wouldn't increase spl, when each sub plays the same spl

I don't think that's how it works at all - they aren't always reinforcing each other depending upon where the speakers and ears are in the room. I think use of multiple speakers is more about achieving a greater spread of sound in a large space. But who knows? If you want more bass volume, turn a single sub up, surely? If adding a second doubles the SPL/volume, surely you'd then need to turn it down so it didn't swamp the non-bass frequencies?

I see a lot of holes in this argument!

gasolin

1 set of speakers is playing 100db,total db is 100db

2 set of speakers where each set of speakers (2) is still playing 100db the total db for 2 set of speakers is 106db

Are all of your Moderators accounts hacked ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts