Preamp: is ATC CA2 a good match for ATC40A?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Looks interesting. Well I will test the CA2 and see if I like it. I actually prefere the neutral clinical sound. I want to get close as possible to the studio where the source was recorded/produced.

But if I understand correctly this doesnt really bypass the preamp does it?

A DAC is not a DAC without some "amplification" or else how would it be able to transfer sound?

I seriously need some HiFi education
A DAC should output a line level analogue signal that can then be amplified, yours is a bit more than a straight DAC so this procedure sets up a fixed line level output from your device......

Reactions: CleanCopperz

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
A DAC should output a line level analogue signal that can then be amplified, yours is a bit more than a straight DAC so this procedure sets up a fixed line level output from your device......

I see thank you very much.....and this is why I am now in a need for the real one. Straight DAC.

Requirements:
1. Should match with Preamp ATC CA2....so rca out on the DAC.
2. Remote just to turn it on and off
3. Price..... around 4500 dollars
4. No Chi-fi

For some reason I just don´t want anything that reminds me of a turd in the name, if you know what I mean :)

The one I found so far:
Benchmark DAC3

Last edited:
I see thank you very much.....and this is why I am now in a need for the real one. Straight DAC.

Requirements:
1. Should match with Preamp ATC CA2....so rca out on the DAC.
2. Remote just to turn it on and off
3. Price..... around 4500 dollars
4. No Chi-fi

For some reason I just don´t want anything that reminds me of a turd in the name, if you know what I mean :)

The one I found so far:
Benchmark DAC3
Unfortunately there are a great number within your budget.....can you get to audition any?
Ignore that, just seen many that I thought did do not have a remote, guess some are designed to be left on.

Last edited:

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Yes... The ones I saw with remote controls seem to be DAC/headphone amplifiers
Bel Canto or Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ might be worth looking into, I know they tend to come with remote controls

Well if it is only DAC function and it doesnt use that many WATT its ok. Then I can ditch the remote

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
I have looked at Belcantos site before...I see nothing but confusion. Really bad web layout. Bad name convention of there products

I am very allergic when it comes to these challanges. I get turned off the product.

Reactions: Al ears

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site

This thing looks pretty interesting....

EDIT: hmmm it still has a preamp

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Well. Either way I will update my experience with CA2 + 40A.

it is so easy to get confused.

people are saying not to preamp etc.

But then why are musician using a DI box before the input…approved to be better(my own ears)

This should not sound better according to the non-preampers

Well. Either way I will update my experience with CA2 + 40A.

it is so easy to get confused.

people are saying not to preamp etc.

But then why are musician using a DI box before the input…approved to be better(my own ears)

This should not sound better according to the non-preampers
I have no idea where you are going.
There is only so much you can plug directly into those speakers, if you need to add other peripherals you need a preamp or some sort of source selector.

russell2022

Apr 29, 2022
Visit site

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Preamping the RME with a CA2 is a pointless expense, unless you are need to use it as a volume control for other analogue sources. You will not get "better sound". RME can and works great connected straight into active speakers.

I am only gonna audition it to start with.

I think the RME is very thin in the sound. Also not very “powerful” at low volume.

Do you have any recommendation?

russell2022

Apr 29, 2022
Visit site
RME is completely neutral in the sound! However it has a wide range of filters and parametric EQ if you want to favourably alter the signal. The balanced output is 4 volts - sorry, but that is VERY powerful.
I recommend the Croft as in my earlier posts but ONLY if you're using other sources as well as the RME.
RME>balanced outs >ATC actives. Simple is best

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
I dont think most people who only recommends the rme are realizing the issue I have.

the RME ADi-2 sounds good with SCM7 and SCM19. But 40A is a different kind of beast!

I can not explain it but its like it needs double what RME can give. It needs a wider soundstage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts