Preamp for turntable vs phone input on integrated amp

headed out

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
I am about to purchase a turntable to rejoin the vinyl world after many years. Fluance RT85 is what I have settled on. I have a Yamaha N-803 integrated amp/receiver that does have a phone input.

I am wondering if using a separate preamp for the turntable would be a better option that using the phone input. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know that amp but would suggest that if usual Yamaha quality then you'd have to spend a good deal on a phono preamp to better it.
The separate preamp might offer a few more settings but, if sticking with moving magnet cartridges, you aren't likely to need then.
Suggest you try the amps inbuilt stage first before spending more money.
You could always upgrade the cartridge instead.... :)

daytona600

Never heard a Fluance deck before seems to be fitted witha ortofon 2M blue which almost £200 & would respond to a decent phono stage most built in MM phono stages can be easily bettered by a quality external one
project & rega both have good ranges

Never heard a Fluance deck before seems to be fitted witha ortofon 2M blue which almost £200 & would respond to a decent phono stage most built in MM phono stages can be easily bettered by a quality external one
project & rega both have good ranges
Fluance are Canadian I believe and it looks a good buy.
I notice you said "quality external one" and I'd agree with this.
It really depends on just how much the OP is prepared to spend on that item and the additional phono leads.

iMark

We have a ProJect 1Xpression Comfort and a Yamaha RN-602 which is quite similar to the RN-803D. The ProJect came with an Ortofon 2M Red. The Yamaha phono input sounds very good to us. Best record player system I've ever owned. What's nice about the Yamaha is that you adjust the level of each input. Out of the box the phono is a bit quiet. We haven't felt the urge to buy a separate phone pre amp.

Since we've upgrade the stylus with a 2M Blue. The sound is even smoother than the Red. Very enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 116933

To me if your looking to upgrade the phono amp before you even purchase the deck then why not look at the Technics 1500c. It would take a 5-600 £$ external unit to completely better it. And that’s probably what you’d spend on an external amp any how to replace the Yamaha internal unit. And easily takes the cart upgrades to a 2m black and can be bypassed in the future. Just seems better money spent on an altogether “better”deck and you have the life time reassurance of Technics in fact it will probably out live all of us if looked after it would certainly be the final deck for many.

mikebdaymer

May 13, 2020
Visit site
If your fluance has a 2M blue, then you'll be very pleased with your new deck. I had one for a while and it sounded great into my arcam's built in phono stage. I don't know how my arcam compared to your amp but when I got the schiit mani phono stage, Wow, huge improvement. That was a little over £100 I think and I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts