Pre outs on a Rotel ra02

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys I now own a Rotel ra 02 the pre out sockets I believe are for either a power amp or subs? Just checking think I can but best to ask

Vincent Kars

As far as I could judge from the manual, the pre is always active.

page 7 of https://www.rotel.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/RA-02-OM.pdf says

Preamp Outputs t The RA-02 has a set of preamp outputs. The signal from the source selected with the Function Selector is always available from these outputs. Typically these outputs are used to provide a signal to another integrated amplifier or power amplifier, which is used to drive remote speakers

As far as I could judge from the manual, the pre is always active.

page 7 of https://www.rotel.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/RA-02-OM.pdf says

Preamp Outputs t The RA-02 has a set of preamp outputs. The signal from the source selected with the Function Selector is always available from these outputs. Typically these outputs are used to provide a signal to another integrated amplifier or power amplifier, which is used to drive remote speakers
Ok, just recall some amps that would bypass their integrated power amp section once the pre outs are used as it assumes you are connecting to a separate power amp. If this happens you cannot drive the two standmounts or whatever that are connected to that integrated amp.
The above description says what happens to a signal not what happens to the amp as a whole, as far as I can see.

Gray

Does the amp still act as an integrated when the pre outs are used in this manner?
I would assume it does.
Whenever there's just pre out (with no external 'power in' link), then I expect pre and power to still be physically, internally linked.

Although, with some modern, fancy amps with their endless menus....who knows? Maybe you can choose.
(Audiolab 6000A springs to mind).

Once again, no matter how clever anyone thinks they are....manuals are provided for a reason.
(Though some do seem to omit the very thing you want to know ☹)

I would assume it does.
Whenever there's just pre out (with no external 'power in' link), then I expect pre and power to still be physically, internally linked.

Although, with some modern, fancy amps with their endless menus....who knows? Maybe you can choose.
(Audiolab 6000A springs to mind).

Once again, no matter how clever anyone thinks they are....manuals are provided for a reason.
(Though some do seem to omit the very thing you want to know ☹)
Indeed.
As the pre out output is affected by the volume control, i.e. it is not line level, it might make setting up a subwoofer difficult .
I would be taking a feed from the speaker terminals themselves in this case

Gray

Indeed.
As the pre out output is affected by the volume control, i.e. it is not line level, it might make setting up a subwoofer difficult .
I would be taking a feed from the speaker terminals themselves in this case
But the output of speaker terminals will go up and down with the volume control too Al.
Which is what's required isn't it?...so that the sub tracks the main volume?

(I wouldn't know. Can't see the day when I'd want a sub).

But the output of speaker terminals will go up and down with the volume control too Al.
Which is what's required isn't it?...so that the sub tracks the main volume?

(I wouldn't know. Can't see the day when I'd want a sub).
Yes, you're correct. The only sub I have is in my home cinema set-up.
I have only ever used pre outs for adding a power amp...., However the OP could have issues if that amps power stage is bypassed.
Try it and see I guess

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts