pre-HDMI receivers connect via ...?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Guys,

What are the options of connecting existing pre-HDMI AV receivers to the new HD sources like blue ray players and, say, freeview HD boxes?

Woudl appreciate advice.

Denis

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Provided there 5.1 analogue outs on the Blueray player then it can be connected to the 5.1 inputs on the amp, (assuming it has this input) this will give you HD sound

The Freeview HD box can be connected via optical connection. I am not aware that Freeview will be using HD audio.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
thanks!

hmmm... I only have 2 optical and one coax digi inputs, no 5.1 analog oudio input. Do brlue ray players normaly have coax and / or optical outs carrying the sound?

and if OK, will the old receiver (dolby digital and dts) decode the blue ray sound (presumably encoded in later surround sound systems)?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, Andrew,

Of cause old DTS decoder will not decode a later more advanced DTS HD signal fully. What I meant is - if the disc only has DTS HD (and not DTS), will the receiver still get just normal DTS out of it (backwards compatibility) or will not? sorry I was not clear.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
The standard DTS core is imbedded in the DTS HD soundtrack so if you send via co-axial/ optical to a receiver that has an onboard DTS decoder you will get DTS.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
now, how do I connect a (latest) PC to the (latest) TV for both image and sound? what are the options these days? looking at mac mini or a PC netbook/inexpensive notebook.

you can figure out that I am looking into upgrading of my system (and developing the AV side of thisngs) after not following the latest technology for abt 5 years so I find myself so much behind things!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts