Pre and power amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hey audio family
I'm currently running a sony ta fb740r amplifier which I love,but I've always dreamed of owning a seperate pre and power amp setup . I'm not changing yet as I'm going to put aside a few pounds a month for new pre/power setup and I love my current amp and setup. I'm hoping to save in the region of £600 maybe a little more so I'm asking for loads of advice. Tia

Hey audio family
I'm currently running a sony ta fb740r amplifier which I love,but I've always dreamed of owning a seperate pre and power amp setup . I'm not changing yet as I'm going to put aside a few pounds a month for new pre/power setup and I love my current amp and setup. I'm hoping to save in the region of £600 maybe a little more so I'm asking for loads of advice. Tia
Allo.

Can I ask why pre/power amp as opposed to a integrated?

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Allo.
seperate
Can I ask why pre/power amp as opposed to a integrated?
Of course it's stupid really but it's what I've always dreamed of and I'm under the impression it's a better Quality of sound separating the two components? Do you think I'm better off keeping my current amp/setup? And maybe investing the money in other area? Speakers,cdp,dac? Any other ideas? I'm already replacing my second speakers but maybe my main? (Currently running a pair of acoustic solutions powerforce 2000s) any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Of course it's stupid really but it's what I've always dreamed of and I'm under the impression it's a better Quality of sound separating the two components? Do you think I'm better off keeping my current amp/setup? And maybe investing the money in other area? Speakers,cdp,dac? Any other ideas? I'm already replacing my second speakers but maybe my main? (Currently running a pair of acoustic solutions powerforce 2000s) any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Not stupid. In my experience the benefit isn't really heard unless you go very high end, such as flagship Naims, Leema Hydra and suchlike.

For your sub-£1000 budget you are better off with a good integrated amp. The best I've heard was Roksan Caspian M1 monoblocs, which cost thousands back then and still quite a hefty amount on the used market, assuming you can find them. But if you're spending a £1000 or more it would be huge risk to buy blind.

What amps would I recommend? Depends what speakers you tend to use. The used market is awash with so many different brands.

More info such as max budget for amp, CDP or streamer. Floorstander or standmount speakers will be governed by room size.

Sorry, there's more questions than answers at this stage.

Reactions: Romulus

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
You have interconnects and other components in the signal path in a pre power. I think this is audiophile BS harking back to the days where more equals better.

This is of course often still the same in high end today ...

I have pre- and power- and am happy with it, but I'm not sure it's necessarily the answer - definitely at the sort of budget you mention.

It's interesting that Musical Fidelity still offers pre/power combos, but the top of their range is an integrated. Best to listen and see what you think, rather than have preconceived notions about what you 'should' aim for.

Reactions: nopiano

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I think maybe you should leave the amplifier well alone for the moment and concentrate on the speaker side of your system, those acoustic solutions are pretty much the bottom of the barrel stuff. I'd suggest checking out eBay for speakers from the likes of b&w, monitor audio, mission etc and don't think you have to stick to floor standing speakers as any decent standmount will give you more than what those a/s speakers can. Good pre-power combos are the preserve of more boutique brands, Naim, Gryphon, Vitus to name but a few

I think maybe you should leave the amplifier well alone for the moment and concentrate on the speaker side of your system, those acoustic solutions are pretty much the bottom of the barrel stuff. I'd suggest checking out eBay for speakers from the likes of b&w, monitor audio, mission etc and don't think you have to stick to floor standing speakers as any decent standmount will give you more than what those a/s speakers can. Good pre-power combos are the preserve of more boutique brands, Naim, Gryphon, Vitus to name but a few
I would agree apart from that last sentence. All three of those manufacturers make very expensive integrated amps as well.
Plenty of mid range pre power amps still available.
The lower end of the market remains integrated only, pretty much, due to cost of enclosures etc.

Hey audio family
I don't think you'll have much luck finding a decent new pre/power combo for that budget.
Second hand you might stand a chance

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I would agree apart from that last sentence. All three of those manufacturers make very expensive integrated amps as well.
Plenty of mid range pre power amps still available.
The lower end of the market remains integrated only, pretty much, due to cost of enclosures etc.
Hi Al, I was just trying to emphasise that the op still had plenty of integrated amplifier options to explore before jumping up to pre -power combinations. I used to own a arcam a85 and a p85, the naim nait xs integrated that I moved on to gave them a good thrashing.lol.

Reactions: Al ears

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Thanks guys a lot to think about,it seems a good idea to keep my current amp and invest 600-£700 on new main speakers? Any recommendations or brands to be looking for? Also my second speakers were going to be q acoustics 3030i and compatible stands any feedback?

Reactions: Dom

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Thanks guys a lot to think about,it seems a good idea to keep my current amp and invest 600-£700 on new main speakers? Any recommendations or brands to be looking for? Also my second speakers were going to be q acoustics 3030i and compatible stands any feedback?
If it were my money , I'd sell the Sony amp for whatever I could get tor it, then split that £600-£700 budget between a amp and speakers from eBay, from a reputable seller obviously. I'm not sure what your source is, so maybe you'd have to get a cd player or dac also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts