Power surge protectors. Monster Cable hts950 power centre. Help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, over this year ive been spending some off my hard earned money on a new cinema sytem,tv and sky hd,ive been looking for a power surge protector and come across the monster power centre which has all i need on it but comes with a hefty price tag, around £130. I know its a small price to pay after spending alot of money on my new toys but was wondering if anyone has any alternitives?

Also is it worth spending good money on a surge protector? do you notice much difference in the picture or sound quality or is just a piece of mind thing? Is it best to have protection on the mains cables and the satellite cables?

Sorry for a load of questions but just looking for a little feedback if anyone can help on this topic. Many thanks

daveh75

you could look at the tacima cs929 as used by a lot of guy on this forum. as to whether they improve sound/picture quality is a contentious issue. some say it makes no difference others sayit does, i'm with the later tbh.

as for the surge protection yes its worth it to protect your gear from spiking/surges on the mains. but its also worth noting that no amount of surge protection is gonna protect you from lightening strikes because of the very high voltages/current. .so as for protecting satellite cables i wouldnt bother personally.

A

Anonymous

A Tacima block is a good idea, can get them off E Bay for about £23 I hear. By it filtering the mains you get improvements to sound and picture I have found.

Would ensure you have circuit breakers fitted into fuse box, they react much quicker than fuses. Also think of buying a Multi plug which you can run 3 items off it with star earthing to all.

Try to keep mains leads as far away from HDMI/speaker/signal cables to cut down interference.

I swear by Russ Andrews mains cable, again have seen bargains on E Bay. It's always a good idea to unplug the TV aerial when thunder and lightning is about, if you get hit nothing I know will protect your equipment

A

Anonymous

Many thanks to both of you for your help. £23 sounds alot better than £130! Do you know if they do a 8 way one? Had a quick look about but couldnt see any, i have 7 plugs i need to use, may just have to move some equitment around! Thanks again

A

Anonymous

Maplin do a 'multiplug' (also can find on E Bay) which you wire 3 items of equipment into it, solves your problem!

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Make sure you don't overload the Tacima by plugging in too much power hungry equipment. Yes it does have 6 plug sockets but the maximum rated power is only 13A. I have the Tacima which I bought off amazon for £24 delivered, and it made a big difference to the picture quality on my 42"plasma. Alot less picture noise than before.

I have my tv,sky,vhs,dvd and Denon 5.1 amp plugged into mine and it's fine,well under the 13A of the Tacima. If you have alot of equipment to use then I would seriously think about buying 2 Tacima's and try to share the load as much as possible. So you could plug say your tv into 1 with some other low power usage items like a sky box for example. Then plug your 5.1 amp into the other as these will use the most power, if ya see what I mean.

A

Anonymous

yeah chears for all that i see what you mean. I have my reciever,tv,ps3,dvd and sky box which are the main 5 but then i have my modem and seperate router as well,tucked nicely away behind my centre speaker, those 2 dont take up alot power , but i may just buy a modem/router in one and solve the one to many plug situation! thanks for all the help

TRENDING THREADS