Where to plug in the power amp?

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
So couple of years ago, an electrical surge damaged a some of my electrical equipments. So I got the Tacima 6 outlet power strip more for surge protection than for power conditioning.
Yesterday, I upgraded my power amp and just for the sake of it, I plugged it directly into the wall outlet. It really does sound a lot better than when I connect it to the power strip. Now I wonder which part of the strip is to blame? Is it the surge protection or is it the conditioning? (Franky, and not trying to open a can of worms here, I never found much difference between a regular power strip and the WHF 5 star rated power strip). If its power conditioning, then solution is cheap and easy. I can just buy a medical grade surge protector and be done with it. But if its surge protection that is causing the poorer sound, then its annoying that I have to live with the sound which is not the best that my system can produce.
Audioquest Niagra 1200 says their high power outlet can fix this but spending that much money on a power supply, well that's something I never thought I would have to do. Anybody has any cost effective solution?

Some mains devices have sockets aimed at different things - analogue devices, digitals and high power - maybe try it connected to other sockets on the strip?

I doubt it is surge protection per se that would cause an audible degradation in sound quality.

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Some mains devices have sockets aimed at different things - analogue devices, digitals and high power - maybe try it connected to other sockets on the strip?

I doubt it is surge protection per se that would cause an audible degradation in sound quality.

Hmm... doesn't say anything on the strip...but will give it a shot.

abacus

If you believe it makes a difference (You can do a double blind test to be sure) then just buy a separate surge protector for the amp as it will have Zero effect in normal usage. (A conditioner (Supposedly designed specifically designed for Hi-Fi) should be thrown in the bin as they are a complete waste of money and offer no benefits, a re-generator on the other hand, as well as giving a clean supply will increase the longevity of your equipment as their power supplies no longer have to block mains problems)
NOTE: A re-generator will not improve the sound in any way.

Bill

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
power regenerators cost more than my speakers :eek:

PS Audio makes those right? I was also contemplating a 3KVA UPS, will give me a couple of mins to shut down everything during power outage.

D

Deleted member 116933

What ive found that makes a difference is when you have a number of high powered devices on one strip or too many devices on one strip, I know you can get 6 gange strips (I personally think that's pushing it with a 100,200,300watt amp) but if an amp is trying to pull a load from a wall socket to replenish it dynamic swing then I might not be able to do it quick enough and can make it sound sluggish a bit like running a car in the wrong gear uphill.. Just my observation but I certainly hear it, and it's not a belief it's clearly audible. Whether your gang strip is causing an issue I don't know. I just use 5 quid ones from wicks I just don't overload them.

The idea behind power regen (a deceiving name TBH) is that it stores/buffers the power and delivers an uninterrupted stream of thors thunder, And things like that don't come cheap. In essence, it is a big substation for your hi fi.

Reactions: Fahad and Al ears

abacus

To add to the above.

A power strip has a maximum capacity (Usually 13A in total in the UK) and if you exceed this it will cause a voltage drop that will take the equipment out of its intended voltage range, (All equipment has a range of voltages where it will work fine, but take it outside this and you will get problems (Lower power, higher distortions etc.) as the equipment can no longer do its intended job)

When using a power strip always (Without exception) plug high power devices into the first socket and leave the rest for the lower power items so as to reduce problems. (If you have more than one high power device then use a separate power strip (Plugged into its own wall socket) for them)

Bill

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
To add to the above.

A power strip has a maximum capacity (Usually 13A in total in the UK) and if you exceed this it will cause a voltage drop that will take the equipment out of its intended voltage range, (All equipment has a range of voltages where it will work fine, but take it outside this and you will get problems (Lower power, higher distortions etc.) as the equipment can no longer do its intended job)

When using a power strip always (Without exception) plug high power devices into the first socket and leave the rest for the lower power items so as to reduce problems. (If you have more than one high power device then use a separate power strip (Plugged into its own wall socket) for them)

Bill

Plugging in the power amp first did the trick....have it lined up as power amp, pre amp, TT, CD player, DAC, Phono stage.....

This sounds a lot better now, thanks mate.

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
What ive found that makes a difference is when you have a number of high powered devices on one strip or too many devices on one strip, I know you can get 6 gange strips (I personally think that's pushing it with a 100,200,300watt amp) but if an amp is trying to pull a load from a wall socket to replenish it dynamic swing then I might not be able to do it quick enough and can make it sound sluggish a bit like running a car in the wrong gear uphill.. Just my observation but I certainly hear it, and it's not a belief it's clearly audible. Whether your gang strip is causing an issue I don't know. I just use 5 quid ones from wicks I just don't overload them.

The idea behind power regen (a deceiving name TBH) is that it stores/buffers the power and delivers an uninterrupted stream of thors thunder, And things like that don't come cheap. In essence, it is a big substation for your hi fi.

I was planning on getting a 3000 VA voltage stabiliser or UPS...which dont cost that much compared to the ones you are mentioning. These plans had nothing to do with sonic improvement, just making sure the equipment stay healthy for as long as possible

TrevC

So couple of years ago, an electrical surge damaged a some of my electrical equipments. So I got the Tacima 6 outlet power strip more for surge protection than for power conditioning.
Yesterday, I upgraded my power amp and just for the sake of it, I plugged it directly into the wall outlet. It really does sound a lot better than when I connect it to the power strip.
You're imagining it.

TRENDING THREADS