Power Consumption - LCD vs Plasma - what is the truth?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Am about to buy a new TV and have been leafing through the Dec What Hi Fi "Best TV's you can buy" supplement and have come down to two choices:-

Samsung LE46F86 or Panasonic TH50PZ70

The Panny is calling to me, based purely on size but I am concerned about the power consumption. Despite researching this subject on the net, I am still somewhat confused.

Is it true that a plasma is much more power hungry than an LCD and if so, what does this mean in real terms?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's swings and roundbouts - LCDs have slightly lower continuous power consumption, but it is continuous. Plasmas, by contrast, have higher power consumption when showing very light scenes, but less when showing very dark ones - it varies according to how much of the screen is lit.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew - that seems to sum up the situation nicely!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew's right. The LCD lobbyists have done a fantastic job of smearing plasmas (ironic, as LCDs do more on-screen smearing...) re power consumption, often showing sets of figures that compare CRTs or smaller LCDs to larger plasmas.

Personally, in the power-use stakes, i'd rather watch less, better-quality TV than keep an inferior set on for longer....(Which is why I use a projector - it means you only switch it on when you really want to watch something!)

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your reply Clare. Ended up buying the Panasonic 50 TH50PZ70. Have noted the later debate about the merits of the PX's vs the PZ's. Considered this myself but in the end thought "I've got the dosh so why not!" Also bought the Sony DAV-IS10 system based on the reviews in your excellent mag - the missus couldn't complain about such tiny speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts