Panasonic GT30 vs ST30 (And what about the GT50?!)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

I am looking to replace my old LCD Phillips - recommended to me a couple of years ago by WhatHiFi - and am a little confused about the 'best' option to go for.

I know the score with modern TV's as this is my third purchase in the last 5 years or so - research is everything, and taking your time is key. However I am being tempted by the exceptionally well priced 46inch GT30's and ST30's around at the moment and actually have a bit of money this month to put towards a TV - A very rare occasion!

So with no further delay, my question really is regarding which is the best buy at this current time. I understand the GT30 was best of the year 2011, and the ST30 are 2012 models receiving 5 stars also. Does this mean I should be getting the the ST30 considering they are actually CHEAPER than the GT30's? Or are the GT30 models actually a cut above.

I will also add that I have no need for wirelessly streaming, or FreeSat and I realise part of the price cut is that the ST30 doesn't have these features. I am soley interested in picture quality and performance.

I do a lot of gaming also, but am more interested in having a brilliant movie picture.

And at risk of throwing another spanner in the works - Should I really be thinking about considering the GT50's?

Thanks for any advice and help, very much appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Ah, that's the first mistake covered then! Glad I asked!

Budget is between £500-£800 max for now. Anything more would require a couple of months savings but happy to do so if worth the extra cash injection.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
I think you'd be more than happy with the GT30 or ST30. For around half the price of the 50in GT50, they're a complete bargain at the moment. As it doesn't sound like you're fussed about some of the extra features on the GT30, I'd save yourself a few quid and get the ST30.

Joe Cox said:
I think you'd be more than happy with the GT30 or ST30. For around half the price of the 50in GT50, they're a complete bargain at the moment. As it doesn't sound like you're fussed about some of the extra features on the GT30, I'd save yourself a few quid and get the ST30.

+1

Demo the TVs side by side & make sure you're happy with it before buying.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Just to carefully reinsert that spanner, you could consider saving up for the ST50, which according to one very thorough review site markedly improves on Panasonic's 2011 plasmas. That said, I don't think there's a 46" ST model, if that helps sway your decision.

Yes, this would would be a more expensive option, but if it were my money (and I appreciate it isn't) and I was planning on keeping the TV for several years, I'd be inclined to audition the ST50, which may turn out to be the TV bargain of the year.

In other words, get yourself down the shops and see what you make of the different options...

A

Anonymous

Hi. Just a very short, sharp question. Have got £800 max budjet - which tv would be the better bet?

1) Panny tx-p46gt30

2)Sony kdl-46hx823

Picture quality priority - that's about the top & bottom of it.

Cheers.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
Just to carefully reinsert that spanner, you could consider saving up for the ST50, which according to one very thorough review site markedly improves on Panasonic's 2011 plasmas.

I'd be inclined to audition the ST50, which may turn out to be the TV bargain of the year.

I think I saw the same review of the 42" ST50, and it looks like a real gem, and not so far short of the VT in terms of picture quality.

For the first time, I'm actually contemplating selling my Kuro and buying one of the new Panasonics.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
For the first time, I'm actually contemplating selling my Kuro and buying one of the new Panasonics.

I'm tempted to sell my V20 and upgrade to one of this year's Panasonic plasmas.

However, I'll probably wait a good 10 months, at which point they'll be considerably cheaper, and any problems will be well documented. Given issues with previous models (floating blacks, the "50Hz bug," green blobs), I'd rather not take my chances...

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

However, I'll probably wait a good 10 months, at which point they'll be considerably cheaper, and any problems will be well documented. Given issues with previous models (floating blacks, the "50Hz bug," green blobs), I'd rather not take my chances...

Ah, but then the VT60 will be announced which will be "significantly better" than the VT50. What will you do then? :?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Ah, but then the VT60 will be announced which will be "significantly better" than the VT50. What will you do then? :?

This is the age-old argument against ever upgrading kit (i.e. there will always be something better round the corner)!

A decision to upgrade would be based on a number of factors, with economic concerns being paramount.

If I could get a good price for my V20, and the 2012 model could be bought for significantly less than the original RRP, and no serious problems were reported by owners, then, and only then, might I consider the upgrade.

There's no way I'll be splashing out on a 2012 Panasonic plasma in the next few months. I'd also need to see the proposed new television in action to determine whether its performance markedly improves on the V20. If not, I'd also choose to stick...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to give this thread a quick bump having read the following VT50 review:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50vt50b-p50vt50-201204101757.htm

It's very thorough, but worth reading in full, or at least focusing on the sections dicussing the "Pure Direct" picture option (which apparently introduces certain artifacts), and the section discussing screen brightness.

The ST50 is increasingly looking like the television bargain of the year. Indeed, you could buy an ST50 and pay for a professional calibration for considerably less than the cost of a VT50.

Potential issues with screen reflections in certain viewing environments seem the only notable concern with the ST50. However, this shouldn't be a problem for many users, and the ST50's measurably brighter picture may well compensate for its less advanced screen filter.

I'm waiting for my local reputable retailer to get both in (and hopefully the GT50 as well), as I'm really interested to see how they perform side-by-side...

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for their help - Just to say I went for the 46GT30 in the end and have only good things to say about it!

HD viewing is fantastic, 3D is more than just a novelty gimmick and what really impresses me is the SD content. I genuinely catch myself wondering if I'm watching a HD channel sometimes - Very impressive.

Having just bought June's issue of the Magazine, was great to see my name in print with the Question of the Month - I'll be awaiting my prize in the Post??
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts