Power conditioner

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Just read this piece in a Bryston brochure and thought I'd share it because its more detailed in explaining why a power conditioner can work and why its usually better to not use it for an amp:

"POWER CONDITIONERS
Bryston urges caution in choosing a power conditioner for your audio/
video system. Large power amplifiers can draw very sub-
stantial current from the wall plug, and many so-called
power conditioners can in fact hinder the supply of cur-
rent by inserting resistances in series with the line cord.
However, there are now power conditioners that can
reduce or eliminate RF and ‘hash’ from the AC supply
and may actually improve current delivery to your system.
This type of power conditioner (exemplified by Bryston
B∙I∙T Power Conditioners) uses the energy storage in
a large toroidal tranformer to provide high instantaneous
power and reduce the substantial AC output resistance of
the wall socket and house wiring. This resistance can be
in the range of 0.5 to 1 Ohm and is typically reduced to
only a few milliOhms by the Power Conditioner. That in
turn considerably reduces Voltage drop in the power line
on high current surges and quite substantially increases
the stability of the power line improving audio (and video)
focus, precision and clarity"

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Similar comments have been written by the likes of Plinius, Sugden and Gryphon Audio.

Plinius have stated, "Most mains conditioners or filters act in series with the mains and will starve the amplifier and negatively affect the sound. Look for a brand that works in parallel. If you need this treatment to your mains supply, this is a better option for you."

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Superaintit said:
Just read this piece in a Bryston brochure and thought I'd share it because its more detailed in explaining why a power conditioner can work and why its usually better to not use it for an amp:

" ... However, there are now power conditioners that can reduce or eliminate RF and ‘hash’ from the AC supply and may actually improve current delivery to your system. This type of power conditioner (exemplified by Bryston B∙I∙T Power Conditioners) ... "

That's why Bryston want to warn you about buying other brands of power conditioner. Because they want to flog you theirs.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Superaintit said:

" ... However, there are now power conditioners that can reduce or eliminate RF and ‘hash’ from the AC supply and may actually improve current delivery to your system. This type of power conditioner (exemplified by Bryston B∙I∙T Power Conditioners) ... "

That's why Bryston want to warn you about buying other brands of power conditioner. Because they want to flog you theirs.
:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts