Power cable

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I noticed that a lot of hifi dealers are selling power cables for amplifiers that can be very expensive (hundreds of euros) and I was wondering if changing the power cable will have a noticeable impact on the performance of the amplifier. I have a Cambridge CX A80 and I saw in a review of this amplifier that we advise to change its power cable. Do you think I shoul invest in one?

Thank you

shadders

dakchi said:
Hi,

I noticed that a lot of hifi dealers are selling power cables for amplifiers that can be very expensive (hundreds of euros) and I was wondering if changing the power cable will have a noticeable impact on the performance of the amplifier. I have a Cambridge CX A80 and I saw in a review of this amplifier that we advise to change its power cable. Do you think I shoul invest in one?

Thank you
Hi,

No, standard cables are more than sufficient. Spend the money on CD's or other, nice meal out, beer, or possibly beer, then again you could buy some beer. Alternatively, for the money you are proposing to spend, you could buy a lot of beer.

Regards,

Shadders.

P.S. There is a theme here.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Be careful with this one. Science and facts say no difference but some believe yes. Some will argue pure copper cables that costs ten euro can't be better or worse than ones that cost 500.

It probably makes sense that some kind of shielding may inhibit interference, but you could easily drop lots of money for small or no difference. On a different forum some guy paid 400 pounds on a cable, my amp and streamer cost less than that. There has to be a happy medium

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'm confused now. Some say it makes a difference, others say no. Did anyone test if the power cable has an impact on amplifier performance? will I hear a difference in the sound?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
dakchi said:
Ok I'm confused now. Some say it makes a difference, others say no. Did anyone test if the power cable has an impact on amplifier performance? will I hear a difference in the sound?
as I said you get a 30 day money back guarantee Clearer audio copper line so make up your own mind.i personal think it one of the best upgrades you can get.

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
dakchi said:
Welcome to hobbies that have opinions

I had the same question with speakers cable. Some say they all sound the same, others say no. I did the test myself and noticed that the power cable does have a clear impact on sound. An expensive cable does not necessarily provide a better sound than a cheap cable, but a different one. Now I am wondering if I can make the same statement for power cables

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dakchi said:
muljao said:
dakchi said:

I had the same question with speakers cable. Some say they all sound the same, others say no. I did the test myself and noticed that the power cable does have a clear impact on sound. An expensive cable does not necessarily provide a better sound than a cheap cable, but a different one. Now I am wondering if I can make the same statement for power cables

Those naysayers don't have quality hifi gear like yours, so they don't really hear the differences. Don't hate them, educate them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dakchi said:

Get one (I would also go for Clearer Audio), try it...then keep it, or return it, depending on what YOU hear. Simples.

You won't get consensus on here, so don't listen to either side and make your own mind up.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
dakchi said:

Get one (I would also go for Clearer Audio), try it...then keep it, or return it, depending on what YOU hear. Simples.

You won't get consensus on here, so don't listen to either side and make your own mind up.
We need a like button, or an agree button or a best answer button for replies like this one

shadders

dakchi said:
muljao said:
dakchi said:

Hi,

Try a blind test, get someone to change the cables without telling you which is which, randomly too. Then see if you can determine one from another.

Maybe lookup placebo effect or expectation bias, then try testing different cables.

Regards,

Shadders.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dakchi said:
I don't live in the UK. Any recommendation for a power cable with EU plug?

Ring Darren at Clearer Audio, as I don't think it should be a problem....just make sure that the free return offer still applies.

If it doesn't, borrow one from a dealer....a good one should allow this.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
also, I've noticed while upgrading power cables that UK plugs are on the bright side.. so in your system expect more top end, extended high frequencies.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
also, I've noticed while upgrading power cables that UK plugs are on the bright side.. so in your system expect more top end, extended high frequencies. 

Thats why its always best to buy a power conditioner that is 3 x more expensive than the amp.
Dont worry about the science..
Let your ears decide which sounds the best

abacus

No difference at all.

Ask yourself this, why would a manufacture supply a poor-quality cable that is not going to show off their equipment at its best, the answer is, they wouldn’t.

Professional Studios (The ones that produce the music and films you listen/watch) have equipment that makes even hi-end Hi-Fi sound like a wind-up gramophone, and they don’t buy special cables as they have proved they don’t make a difference.

No manufacture of these special cables has been able to provide verifiable evidence that they make a difference, (The ASA even slapped them down) so any claim should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Ask any music/electrical professional about it, and they will all say, “You’ve been listening to the gullible Hi-Fi Nuts haven’t you, just ignore them as they haven’t the slightest clue what they are on about”. NOTE: The actual words used would be a lot stronger, but you should get the gist.

Hope this helps

Bill

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Go for the best quality power cable possible.

At least spray it with some holy water.

this may help.

if your speakers are too bright don't change the speakers, get the european power cable and use the EU to UK plug converter.. doing this way your speakers will become less splashy, more bassy and in your face.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
you must be slipping, took 20 replies before your usual boring cut and paste response to what was becoming quite a decent thread.

Oh by the way you end everyone of your replies with the saying "Hope this helps" , well it doesn't.

*nea*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts