Power cable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
macdiddy said:
you must be slipping, took 20 replies before your usual boring cut and paste response to what was becoming quite a decent thread.

Oh by the way you end everyone of your replies with the saying "Hope this helps" , well it doesn't.

*nea*

Why are you so mean to bill?
Can you prove he is wrong or does his knowlege threaten everything you believe in?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
maxresdefault.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I use Audiofriendly silver shielded power cables.

Look good, built well and not expensive.

I've never tried to compare with stock cables.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
I don't think sarcasm is really going to help someone who has come here to ask a serious question.

Agree. Pathetic, even if you don't agree.

Just state your opinion, reasons and be done with rather than trying to be clever.

That is one thing Bill always seems to do ... in a polite way.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
I use Audiofriendly silver shielded power cables.

Look good, built well and not expensive.

I've never tried to compare with stock cables.
To me this makes sense. I don't use these or know the brand, but shielded cables could i think help, especially in an area where a few componants cables are run very close, so they don't interfere with speaker cables.

shadders

Hi,

Inintially, i could not work out whether people were being sarcastic or not, until someone stated it. Since many people have their beliefs - i just thought that they were being serious.

Regards,

Shadders.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
shadders said:
Hi,

Inintially, i could not work out whether people were being sarcastic or not, until someone stated it. Since many people have their beliefs - i just thought that they were being serious.

Regards,

Shadders.

I'm totaly being honest here. With a straight face. Like I am now.

lpv said:

Or is it!

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Or is it!

Exactly. Once you get past the fact that we have never actually been in to space (it was all a propaganda war between the US and the USSR), you realise quickly that a globed earth is a stupid idea. If you were on the bottom you would fall off! They will try and convince us of anything. Now where are my foil trousers...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Or is it!

Exactly. Once you get past the fact that we have never actually been in to space (it was all a propaganda war between the US and the USSR), you realise quickly that a globed earth is a stupid idea. If you were on the bottom you would fall off! They will try and convince us of anything. Now where are my foil trousers...

Now do it with an Alex Jones voice!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
dakchi said:
I noticed that a lot of hifi dealers are selling power cables for amplifiers that can be very expensive (hundreds of euros) and I was wondering if changing the power cable will have a noticeable impact on the performance of the amplifier. I have a Cambridge CX A80 and I saw in a review of this amplifier that we advise to change its power cable. Do you think I shoul invest in one?

If you have this itch there is only one way to scratch it.

My advice is dont limit yourself in 2 ways -

1. Dont just try cheap only products - try products at different price points to see what you think the benefit might be as you go up. Try different products as well - OCC Copper based cables, no PVC if you can and Good quality Furutech Plugs each end - if you get a chance to try a cable with FI50 connectors do so.

2. Dont only try one power cable in a system - try several or if possible the whole system wired up with them before making a decision.

- take your time and have fun and enjoy the messing around.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Look at it another way ... an aftermarket power cable is the most versatile hifi component/accessory you'll ever buy.

No matter what you do in the feature, if you go active or for a valve amplifier, simply upgrade or just use it on another component, it'll always be useful. It doesn't matter how your room interacts, what source you use and it wont upset your other half as she/he won't have a clue how much it was.

You never have to change it again and you'll never feel that maybe, just maybe ...

About how many other Hifi purchases can you say the same? :)

shadders

drummerman said:
Look at it another way ... an aftermarket power cable is the most versatile hifi component/accessory you'll ever buy.

No matter what you do in the feature, if you go active or for a valve amplifier, simply upgrade or just use it on another component, it'll always be useful. It doesn't matter how your room interacts, what source you use and it wont upset your other half as she/he won't have a clue how much it was.

You never have to change it again and you'll never feel that maybe, just maybe ...

Hi,

I think that the logic is flawed here.

If people state that they can hear differences with speakers, amplifiers, DAC's etc, and the interconnect makes a difference to a system, good and bad, as claimed for mains cables, then a mains cable will be system dependent on whether it produces a good or bad sound.

That is - you try it with your amplifier and it sounds good, you change the amplifier and it sounds bad. So there is no guarantee that the mains cable will always be a benefit to your sound, as it could sound worse in another upgrade.

So expensive mains cables are not an investment.

Regards,

Shadders.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The OP's system consists of a Cambridge CXA80, Monitor Audio RX6's and a Pro-ject Debut Carbon USB. I think he would be unwise to get too carried away with cables of any kind. Perhaps spend the money on turntable improvements where he will be able to vastly and perceivably improve his sound quality.

shadders

dakchi said:
Hi,

I noticed that a lot of hifi dealers are selling power cables for amplifiers that can be very expensive (hundreds of euros) and I was wondering if changing the power cable will have a noticeable impact on the performance of the amplifier. I have a Cambridge CX A80 and I saw in a review of this amplifier that we advise to change its power cable. Do you think I shoul invest in one?

Thank you
Hi

In examining tweeters for a project - i came across this website which tests tweeters and their distortion.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Tweeters_dist-test.htm

The tests indicate that this is why tweeters sound different - and hence why loudspeakers will sound different.

If you were to complete the same test on a cable - there will be NO distortion.

Science does have the answers, and cables make no difference to the sound as long as they are adequately constructed.

The reason people hear a difference is because of expectation bias/placebo effect.

Try blind testing - just to prove to yourself whether the changes you hear are real or not.

Regards,

Shadders.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
The OP's system consists of a Cambridge CXA80, Monitor Audio RX6's and a Pro-ject Debut Carbon USB. I think he would be unwise to get too carried away with cables of any kind. Perhaps spend the money on turntable improvements where he will be able to vastly and perceivably improve his sound quality.

Everyone thinks source is first in the hifi chain. Wrong! It's the power cord. Garbage in, garbage out.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

Untrue. Each power cord needs to be matched to each component. Ever heard of synergy?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

About how many other Hifi purchases can you say the same?  :)

Untrue. Each power cord needs to be matched to each component. Ever heard of synergy?

I've never heard the synergy myself but someone on this forum has....
Cant remember the name but its between leema and pmc, I think

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

I've never heard the synergy myself but someone on this forum has.... Cant remember the name but its between leema and pmc, I think

Seven deadly synergies?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

as others just said of course there's synergy between components and cables ( just as important as CD players) needs carefull matching, power cables including.

it may be totaly different animal in another system.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
lpv said:
drummerman said:

as others just said of course there's synergy between components and cables ( just as important as CD players) needs carefull matching, power cables including.

Are you serious? If you like to look at power cables buy a pretty one, otherwise use the one that came with the gear. It doesn't affect performance. How can it?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
lpv said:
drummerman said:

About how many other Hifi purchases can you say the same?  :)

Are you serious? If you like to look at power cables buy a pretty one, otherwise use the one that came with the gear. It doesn't affect performance. How can it?

It has special ingredients inside the cable that does all the magic. Pure clean power straight to your equipment to help it perform from the best possible electric current available. Just let your ears be the judge.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
When you match the characteristics of a high end power cable to other hifi component, you either get athletic full bodied performance, or the components have electrical conflict and don't harmonize well together. You can't transplat a bird's wing to a butterfly, only one from a different butterfly. A better matched wing to the body will produce a better flight, a better journey in musical sky.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts