Portable Sources with line outs? Ipod vs...?

kiwijonno

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

My ipod Nano recently broke, and Im wanting to get a replacement of some sort. As well as using it out and about, I'm wanting one with line outs so I can connect it to my Hi Fi system at home as a source.

From what I can gather, the new Nanos don't have the line out any more? Ive read really good things about the Astell & Kern Jr, but I think that is the same?

Is there any products at about the same price which do? Im after good SQ over features. Also, are the iPods lacking in SQ compared to others when used through a dock and HiFI setup or not ?

Thankyou.

kiwijonno

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Might be worth having a look at the Fiio players: the X3 is excellent value, and will do what you want and more.

Thanks for that. The Fiio X3/X5 don't appear to be overly user friendly but good reviews on SQ.

I'm guessing using a Astell & Kern Jr would sound worse then the Fiio a home stereo as it would have to be thru the headphone out?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
kiwijonno said:
I'm guessing using a Astell & Kern Jr would sound worse then the Fiio a home stereo as it would have to be thru the headphone out?

The AK Jr has a 'fixed line-out' option via the headphone socket, giving a standard 2V line-out, so should be absolutely fine. Though I haven't compared the two, I'd hope the A&K would sound at least as good as the Fiio in this mode, given the price differential!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The new Nano (like all of the Apple Lightning ports) needs a DAC and so Apple makes a little adapter for that. However, Apple also states that the headphone out will deliver the exact same signal as the Lightning-plus-adapter.

kiwijonno

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
spiny norman said:
kiwijonno said:

The AK Jr has a 'fixed line-out' option via the headphone socket, giving a standard 2V line-out, so should be absolutely fine. Though I haven't compared the two, I'd hope the A&K would sound at least as good as the Fiio in this mode, given the price differential!

Thanks for this! Sounds like this could be the player I'm after then

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
kiwijonno said:
I'm guessing using a Astell & Kern Jr would sound worse then the Fiio a home stereo as it would have to be thru the headphone out?

Andrew Everard has just reviewed it, says it's very good.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
FiioX3 , great value and Line out. Don't be put off by comments about the user interface. Its a music player not a smart phone and does what it says admirably for a fraction of the price of fancy Sony Walkmans and others (which have pitiful headphone output volumes etc).. I use mine all the time with line out, like having your whole CD collection in the palm of your hand. Marvellous!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
don't forget the much maligned pono. Whilst a lot the hoo-hah was buried under Neil Youngs claims about high res, the pono is actually a pretty decent little player and has a line out. shame as it kind of overshadowed was is actually quite a capable device.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
kiwijonno said:
Hey all,

My ipod Nano recently broke, and Im wanting to get a replacement of some sort. As well as using it out and about, I'm wanting one with line outs so I can connect it to my Hi Fi system at home as a source.

From what I can gather, the new Nanos don't have the line out any more? Ive read really good things about the Astell & Kern Jr, but I think that is the same?

Is there any products at about the same price which do? Im after good SQ over features. Also, are the iPods lacking in SQ compared to others when used through a dock and HiFI setup or not ?

Thankyou.

The Astell & Kern Jr looks very impressive, but if you want something cheaper there is the Sony NWZ A15 for circa £150. It also does aptx Bluetooth. I never quite got the point of using a portable player then tethering it to a hifi. Have you tried using a wireless approach, or maybe even using a Chromecast audio device then controlling that from your phone?

TRENDING THREADS