Needing a new non CDP source, advice please?

kiwijonno

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey ya,

So semi recently I sold my CDP for my Naim System. I just didn't own enough CDs or have time to hunt them down. Most of my music (not a massive collecton) is flac and other formats on my laptop. I'm wanting to play these through my system getting decent sound quality. I probably don't want to get a Naim source as they are too expensive. I don't know much about DACs and things like that...

My last non CDP source was a Denon iPod dock with an iPod (obviously lol). It was ok, but I want something better then that. What would be some suggestions for me? I don't want to have to buy another laptop to play music through the system. I've thought about an Astell & Krell portable player with high quality leads, this would I assume be a lot better then a Denon iPod dock tho maybe still wouldnt do the system justice. But would a similar priced DAC have much better SQ?

Thanks! And sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Jonno

kiwijonno

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Update: Ok so I'm pretty sure after browsing this site that I need a DAC. I've just found a good price for a Audiolab M-Dac and also Dac Magic Plus here in New Zealand. Would the Audiolab be the better of the two? Would this work ok with Naim 5i and speakers?

Thanks

kiwijonno said:
Update: Ok so I'm pretty sure after browsing this site that I need a DAC. I've just found a good price for a Audiolab M-Dac and also Dac Magic Plus here in New Zealand. Would the Audiolab be the better of the two? Would this work ok with Naim 5i and speakers?

Thanks

No reason why it shouldn't, it is very well regarded. However, depending on how much you want to spend there is also the possibility of a simple USB dac like the Audioquest Dragonfly, the cheaper Audiolab Q dac or cheaper dacs from the likes of Schiit Audio ( and despite name they are rather good) :)

Hi there jono.It would help if we knew what the rest of your system is,I'm assuming your 5i is the nait amp.Thr new kid on the block is the chord mojo and it is getting fantastic reviews,chord dacs are said to go well with Naim amps,are £400 it's the least expensive dac chord has made and has trickle down tech from the most coveted Hugo.If I was in the market for a dac at the moment,that's what I'd be hoping to get a demo of.

kiwijonno

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi there jono.It would help if we knew what the rest of your system is,I'm assuming your 5i is the nait amp.Thr new kid on the block is the chord mojo and it is getting fantastic reviews,chord dacs are said to go well with Naim amps,are £400 it's the least expensive dac chord has made and has trickle down tech from the most coveted Hugo.If I was in the market for a dac at the moment,that's what I'd be hoping to get a demo of.

Hey ya, yes sorry the amp is the Nait 5i-2, and my speakers are Naim Arivas - older speakers now but still do a decent job.

The price of 400 is about what I want to spend so I will look into if I can get that here in NZ. Would the Chord be better then the Audiolab Dac with my system?

Thankyou.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally in your situation I would buy a streamer, base models from the likes of Pioneer or denon are not that expensive and they do a lot.

Depending on the model you can put all your music on a USB or NAS drive and access it without using your laptop, you can access internet radio and streaming services such as Spotify.

Output is fixed at line level so straight into your Nait, if and when you need to upgrade your amp, get one with digital inputs and connect the streamer via Toslink or Coax.

An interesting choice might be the Yamaha CD301, which offers full streaming functionality and includes a CD drive to play tor 'legacy' CDs, no more expensive than many streamers.

davedotco said:
Personally in your situation I would buy a streamer, base models from the likes of Pioneer or denon are not that expensive and they do a lot.

Depending on the model you can put all your music on a USB or NAS drive and access it without using your laptop, you can access internet radio and streaming services such as Spotify.

Output is fixed at line level so straight into your Nait, if and when you need to upgrade your amp, get one with digital inputs and connect the streamer via Toslink or Coax.

An interesting choice might be the Yamaha CD301, which offers full streaming functionality and includes a CD drive to play tor 'legacy' CDs, no more expensive than many streamers.

A good idea but like all cheap streamers, the Onkyo is the same, you still need extra kit to run it successfully. A tablet or smartphone is required. Why would the OP want to spend out all this money when all he really needs is a USB dac?

Perhaps, if he has such a phone to control the streamer, then possibly but it still means spending a lot more than absolutely necessary.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:

A good idea but like all cheap streamers, the Onkyo is the same, you still need extra kit to run it successfully. A tablet or smartphone is required. Why would the OP want to spend out all this money when all he really needs is a USB dac?

Perhaps, if he has such a phone to control the streamer, then possibly but it still means spending a lot more than absolutely necessary.

True enough as long as the OP is happy to use the laptop as a source and use a wired connection.

Since he has gone to the trouble to rip to FLAC, I doubt if Bluetooth would be an acceptable alternative. It's simply about how you want the system to work, I use my laptop all the time (like now) and would not want it on the other side of the room acting as a music server.

You pay your money......

kiwijonno

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

How would these Dacs rate?

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC $700 NZ
Musical Fidelity m1 SDAC $1400 NZ
Audiolab MDAC $1200 NZ
Rega Dac $1450 NZ
NAD M51 DAC $1500 NZ
Firestone Audio Tobby $1450 NZ
Acram AirDac Airplay $999

Our prices aren't that good.
Thanks again

rainsoothe

kiwijonno said:
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

How would these Dacs rate?

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC $700 NZMusical Fidelity m1 SDAC $1400 NZAudiolab MDAC $1200 NZRega Dac $1450 NZNAD M51 DAC $1500 NZFirestone Audio Tobby $1450 NZAcram AirDac Airplay $999

Our prices aren't that good.Thanks again
Out of those, definitely the Nad M51. But with the Nait 5i, arcam iRdac should be good as well.

The guys are right to suggest streamers, and if you have an iPhone or whatever apple device to control it, the Onkyo C-N7050 should be worth considering. Of course, Pioneer N50A and Cambridge Audio CXN are better, but might not be great partners for the Nait 5i, unless your speakers are smooth enough to tame the Naim's sharpness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts